Come work within the Technology department at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are maintaining and extending a public cloud computing environment for the Wikimedia movement which provides tools, services, and support for technical collaborators contributing to Wikimedia projects. Our team maintains Infrastructure as a Service (OpenStack), Platform as a Service (Kubernetes, Son of Grid Engine), and numerous Data as a Service (MySQL/MariaDB, etc) products. The team works in partnership with the larger Wikimedia volunteer community to manage the physical and virtual resources that power the environment and provide technical support to volunteer developers and other Wikimedia Cloud Services users. Candidates need to be comfortable sharing ideas, providing guidance, following instructions, mentoring co-workers and volunteers, and communicating in public and asynchronous ways (mailing lists/forums/irc). Our team works remotely across the world and so can you!
As a Cloud Services Senior Operations Engineer, we’d like you to do these things:
- Lead research, design, and implementation of Cloud Services infrastructure and services
- Develop and support automation tools and processes to support maintenance, development, and deployment
- Coordinate and communicate with other members of the Wikimedia engineering teams on relevant projects
- Lead internal documentation efforts and mentor other staff in various aspects of Cloud Services infrastructure and services
- Lead incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Cloud Services infrastructure
- Support volunteer and staff developers using Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) products
- Participate in on-call support and off-hours coverage in a 24x7 environment
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:
- Senior level engineering mindset and strong experience in Linux ecosystems
- Experience operating an elastic computing environment for customers (OpenStack, Cloudstack, ...)
- Experience running Docker and/or container technologies in a production environment
- Experience with Open Source configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.)
- Strong development skills with a variety of scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations context (e.g. Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with remotely managing both bare-metal servers and virtualized environments
- Experience with software and service deployment and package management, including (Debian) packaging as well as container systems
- Deep knowledge of low-level systems troubleshooting and debugging (CPU/memory profiling, network/disk throughput)
- Experience offering first line technical support to peers and/or customers
- Demonstrable experience developing and debugging web applications
- Strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:
- Experience participating in open source software projects and communities
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, or similar container orchestration platforms, including alternative container runtimes like cri-o, containerd and rkt.
- Experience with the Go programming language
- Experience with C/C++ programming and debugging
- Ceph or other storage management experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Passion for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source principles
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location