Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Director of Administration
This role supports events and projects that the Director of Administration is overseeing for the organization.
The Administration department provides relevant, scalable business operational support services for each department with the goal and purpose of delivering quality business operations support services to ensure continuity, prudence, organization, communication, and recordkeeping with all administrative support activities.
The Administration team resides within our Finance and Administration (F & A) department and reports to our Director of Administration who reports to the Chief Financial Officer. Keeping support services lean and scalable is key to our high ratings as a 501c3 organization. Administration support is comprised of (3) sub-teams; Business Operation Admins, the Travel team, and our Front office and Facilities staff.
Wikimedia Foundation has effective, relevant, scalable business operational support services for the purpose of prudence, consistency, oversight, and seamless operational support. The department administration staff are recruited with department specific skills and talents and have dedicated service assignments. There is often opportunity and visibility to develop and grow as they support major efforts within the teams and for the organization. This team partners closely with all business offices; Finance and Legal to deliver a wide breadth of operational services.
Provide quality operational support services for the assigned departments and projects, performing business operational functions, within the broad services of: Contract processing, event planning, On-boarding/Off-boarding, meeting management, expense reporting, scheduling and calendaring, communication and correspondence, and special projects as identified and assigned.
We’d like you to do these things:
Contracts: As key partners with accounting and finance, budget owners have clear path for procuring goods and services with timely controls and terms executed and recorded for proper oversight of services. You job is to learn the process, track, and monitor the data base entries, coordinate follow-up and secure and record executed contract for your team.
Staff Events: Plan and coordinate logistics for small to large meetings and multi-day sprints annually. We support our projects and programs by bringing working teams together for intense collaboration. Department admins ensure event logistics are coordinated, safe, and a prudent use of resources.
Community Events: Successfully operationalize and partner with others to plan various staff multi-day/Volunteer/Community events.
On-boarding/Off-boarding: Partner with HR and Hiring Manager's to ensure hire workflows are consistent for staff and contractors, as well as ensure org and team orientation best practices are completed. Ensure that new and departing staff have the support, equipment & record keeping necessary for effective oversight.
Scheduling/Calendaring: This is a talent, skill and art, and the department admins ensure that leadership and content specialist’s time is well spent by supporting well planned days and schedules for identified calendaring needs. We aim to keep scheduling less than 20% of time.
Meeting and Project Management: In tandem with the art of scheduling, the department admins have provided much needed agenda, timekeeping, and project management skills to support team projects, budgets and deadlines.
General Administrative support: Produce timely Expense and credit card reporting, oversee clerical projects such setting up organizational systems, reconciling text information, updating lists, entering data, running reports, keeping documentation accurate and relevant.
Serve as Team representation: Provide representation on Safety teams, organization wide specific efforts and annual events, and provide general liaison activities and information for specific and assigned departments or teams.
Special projects as assigned: This is where we understand that each support professional likes to learn and do different things. We honor that, and want to engage your talents and development interests in other operational areas for mutually beneficial outcomes.
We have the following requirements, and would like you to have these skills:
- 5+ years of work history, ideally in professional support roles in medium to large organizations.
- BA, BS, Technical, or application certification, vocation for role and position.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and savvy, ability to adjust, learn and use new and different open source software.
- Extensive experience with Google suite (or equivalent) of applications.
- Experience and ability to learn and utilize standard and new presentation software (Prezi, Google Presentation, etc).
- Experience with event planning, basic budgeting and timeline and vendor planning.
- Demonstrated experience and satisfaction with organizing and maintaining data and information.
- Excellent calendar management and meeting preparation skills.
- Setting up Teleconference and video conferencing meetings using current software and Google suite.
- Comfortable and experienced with technology, various a/v equipment, and software.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Superior attention to detail and ability to anticipate needs and provide solutions.
- Excellent ability work with all levels of staff including a wide range of diversity of staff.
- Excellent communication and planning skills.
- Ability to learn, adapt and thrive in changing technical environment.
- Derive satisfaction in support of others in a service oriented team of professionals.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience with international travel and speaking additional languages.
- Open Source knowledge and strong desire to learn and be part of the free access and open source movement.
- Experience working with Concur Travel and Expense systems.
- Experience working with international time zones.
- Experience working with virtual communities.
- Experience with wiki markup syntax, or editing wiki's.
- Experience with editing Wikipedia or other Wikimedia Foundation projects.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location