Come join the Wikimedia Foundation’s Technology department. You’ll be joining the team that provides the development, testing, and deployment experience for all of our internal staff and external volunteer engineers. We care about the intersection of the developer experience and site reliability. Our team works remotely and so can you!
You are a technical leader willing to take on the hard problems. You are also a mentor who grows the capacity of those around you.
In this role you will be a technical leader for the Release Engineering Team taking on the cross-cutting projects to reduce down time, increase resiliency, and more quickly push changes to production.
- You will be directly responsible for deployments and moving towards more ideal solutions
- Lead the effort to utilize container based tooling for MediaWiki application development and deployment
- Maintain Release Engineering systems (deployment, continuous integration, issue tracking, and code review)
- Integrate developer tooling into our continuous delivery pipeline
- Be a role model for effective and collaborative engineering practices
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- 3+ years of technical leadership experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Collaboration and consensus making skills are as, if not more, important as technical skills
- Highly proficient with software, systems, and devops engineering
- Expertise with continuous integration/deployment systems
- Expertise with virtualization or container technologies
- Expertise with server configuration management software
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location