We are looking for a privacy engineer to partner with all teams at the Wikimedia Foundation to serve as a technical subject matter expert to help build new features that allow the Wikimedia Foundation to create new and exciting ways to share knowledge while respecting our users’ privacy.
You will be joining the team responsible for providing technical privacy solutions to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of Wikimedia applications. Privacy is one of the core values of the free knowledge movement and this is your opportunity to participate in and provide privacy solutions so together we can create a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
As a Privacy Engineer we’d like you to do these things:
- Help us evaluate our current privacy practices, identify issues and provide technical solutions to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities.
- Partner up with other internal teams and provide privacy expertise to ensure they make safe and compliant design and architectural decisions.
- Serve as the “go to” person for advice and assistance on technical privacy matters.
- Help identify, organize and categorize data while providing guidance and technical expertise on how best to protect data from a privacy standpoint.
- Work across the foundation to support Privacy by Design.
- Help out with security and privacy incidents and duties required as a member of the Security team.
Experience/skills we’d like you to bring to the table:
- Understanding of best practices in data handling and privacy.
- Proficiency with PHP, Python or other languages.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze code, systems and data for privacy impact
- Experience in Incident Response
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field or the equivalent in work related experience.
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with an internet software environment operating at scale.
- Experience in incident response.
- Interest in and passion for all things open source.
- Wikimedia community experience (you know what it means to be a volunteer or to coordinate the work of volunteers)
- Big thumbs up if you are a contributor to Wikipedia.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location