Join the Wikimedia Foundation in our ambitious project to empower people to create and share the sum of all human knowledge. We are looking for an experienced Senior Analyst to work within our Finance team. You will support the Foundation’s goal of becoming a model for financial planning, analysis, and reporting across the Wikimedia movement; standardize, improve and maintain WMF’s financial review process; support our engineering and other departments to manage their resources and use good financial practices; and partner with others to create effective financial reporting protocols.
We’d like you to do these things:
This position will provide support in these key areas:
- Formulate financial models which reflect the insights and requirements of the WMF, its Board, and key community stakeholders.
- Apply well developed skills in Finance - financial planning, analysis and financial statement and internal control reviews.
- With the Finance team and other stakeholders, help design and facilitate the WMF’s multi-year planning process and creation of the annual budget. Identify areas to streamline and improve planning processes.
- Prepare regular and ad-hoc analyses of information for management. Identify and report on key metrics and suggest guidelines to improve performance. Work with the CFO to improve the systems used to gather and distribute financial analysis and reporting.
- Partner with the CFO, Controller and external experts to recommend and implement best practices in financial planning, budgeting and reporting standards.
- Partner with members of the C-suite in our engineering departments to support resource management, track progress against budgets, and to create effective financial reporting protocols.
- Partner with engineering management and C-suite members to create a financial roadmap that supports the outcomes in our multi-year plan.
- Partner with the Site Reliability Engineering team and other engineering teams to create and manage a capital spending plan.
- Lead other financial and operational projects, as needed.
We’d like you to have these skills and attributes:
- Bachelor's Degree in finance or accounting
- 5+ years experience in finance or 3 years and a Masters Degree
- Experience with financial aspects of consumer-facing internet or technology companies
- Experience with financial planning, analysis and reporting
- Experience with assurance and internal controls
- Experience managing cross-functional projects
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to communicate with non-financial users
- Service-oriented approach: able to anticipate, understand and meet the needs of management and C-suite stakeholders professionals
- Strong analytical skills and ability to communicate complex financial concepts with a variety of people
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities including urgent tasks
- Function in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Proven ability to work well on a team
- Be excited about supporting community organizations and teams worldwide
- Strong spreadsheet skills
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience in audit or accounting
- Experience in non-profits, particularly international non-profits
- Experience in training and capacity building
- Experience with Adaptive Insights and/or Adaptive Discovery
- Experience with Intacct, Concur, or other accounting or financial software
- MBA, CPA or other certification
- Experience training or building capacity on financial issues
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location