We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers! Would you like to join the highly dynamic team responsible for the reliability and performance of a global top-10 website, Wikipedia? We have several different roles at various levels available.
We are searching for people with a drive to explore, experiment, and learn new technologies. Do you enjoy eliminating boring things from your daily workflow by automating them? Are you comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented, open environment and as part of a globally-distributed team? Then you might be just the person we need.
- Performing day-to-day operational/DevOps tasks on Wikimedia’s public facing infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Implementing and utilizing configuration management and deployment tools (Puppet, Kubernetes)
- Assisting in the architectural design of new services and making them operate at scale
- Monitoring of systems, services and service clusters, optimization of performance and resource utilization
- Assisting in or lead incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
- Share our values and work in accordance with them
- 3+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience with managing geographically distributed, highly available, high traffic infrastructure based on Linux
- Comfortable with Open Source configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.)
- Experience with the use, maintenance and configuration of monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (Icinga/Nagios, Prometheus, Grafana, Graphite, Logstash/Kibana, etc.)
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Comfortable with managing remotely both bare-metal servers and virtualized environments
- Experience with software and service deployment and package management, including (Debian) packaging as well as container systems
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Track record of open source contributions is a major plus
- Familiarity with modern distributed container cluster management systems (Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, …)
- Experience with LAMP stack technologies (PHP/HHVM, memcached/Redis, MySQL) - MediaWiki experience is a definite plus
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
- Experience with advanced distributed storage and database systems (Swift, Ceph, Cassandra, etc.)
These are some of our upcoming projects you might be working on soon…
- Design, implement and maintain backup and underlying storage infrastructure, ensuring all Wikimedia mission-critical data is backed up to on-site and off-site storage in an automated, consistent and reliable manner
- Ensure smooth and reliable operation of the MediaWiki application server platform and its dependencies (Memcached, Redis, etcd, …)
- Perform platform transformations and migrations towards modernized infrastructure (HHVM to Zend PHP7, bare metal deployments to Kubernetes clusters, active/active multi-data center support, etc.)
- Design, implement and maintain our metrics, monitoring and logging infrastructure using modern and state-of-the-art tooling (Prometheus, Grafana, Logstash/Kibana)
- Implement and improve orchestration and automation tooling that eliminates toil and acts as an enabler for the entire SRE team
- Help keep Wikimedia’s infrastructure secure in an ever-changing, high-velocity environment with staff and volunteers across the world
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location