WideOrbit is the technology platform for connecting audiences and ads, everywhere. We simplify ad transactions by focusing on innovation, customer delight, and value creation. Chances are if there’s an ad on your local TV or radio station, we helped put it there. Our customers include NBCUniversal, AMC Networks, Entercom Communications, Nexstar Media, Gray Television, TEGNA, and many other top media companies around the world.
WideOrbiters are truly empowered to innovate at every level, in every function. We hire high energy activators, that aren't afraid to leverage their passion and expertise. And we're agile, which means you can make a difference with your career, while learning, growing and having fun!
WideOrbit is looking for a talented Database Engineer, who is passionate about database work, collaborating with internal teams, and directly with customers to ensure optimum configuration of servers and our products in their environments.
In the role, you'll tune and optimize the performance of a robust product that has thousands of queries, hundreds of custom stored procedures and functions, and gigabytes of data. It will be up to you to pinpoint which bottlenecks and blockers to tackle first, given the importance of business needs and our customers. You'll come up with innovative ways to improve performance and scalability, ensuring a faster, leaner, and more efficient environment. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team of smart, friendly engineers, and major media companies to transform the future of media and advertising.
Here is what you’ll be doing:
- Develop a deep understanding of the architecture and operational flow of WideOrbit customer applications, and especially their database structures.
- Develop queries and reports to assist with customer issues.
- Design, develop, document, and support internal automated processes to maximize efficiency.
- Provide technical guidance and database design for all back-end feature development for WO Analytics.
- Actively participate in all design reviews for any major feature that involves changes to the database.
- Troubleshoot SQL Server issues, including performance issues, for hosted and client-managed servers via remote access.
- Provide documentation and training expertise for internal and external clients.
- Provide hands on SQL research, recommendations, and development aimed at performance and/or ETL.
- Partner closely with software developers, QA, business analysts, and product managers.
- Collaborate with customer IT team to size, procure, deploy, install and monitor the systems used to run WO Products – both on premise and cloud.
- Directly interact with customers and hardware vendors.
- Provide on-call support as necessary.
Here is what we’re looking for:
- 3+ years working with Microsoft SQL Server with a deep understanding, including writing of complex T-SQL queries, scripts, procedures, DML, and DDL in an ad hoc manner
- Overall SQL Server performance and T-SQL performance tuning experience
- Industry or software related experience
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to logically diagnose both simple and complex issues
- Understand and troubleshoot execution plans
- Relentless problem-solving skills and the ability to understand customer issues, know how to be resourceful to resolve problems and reach a solution as quickly as possible
- Ability to build customer confidence, committed to increasing customer satisfaction, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems in a timely manner
- Active listener and ability to gather information from the customer to understand their needs and requests
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to speak with a technical or non-technical audience
- Proven ability to collaborate and communicate with other teams (development, sales and product support)
- Innate technical curiosity to learn new systems, databases, concepts, and broaden knowledge in industry and WideOrbit applications
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and balance competing tasks in a rapidly changing environment and take the lead where needed
This position will be based in our Lynnwood, WA office.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks:
Besides a great work environment with smart and friendly coworkers, access to leadership and knowledge about how your work impacts company success, here are some of our benefits and perks:
A competitive salary, health insurance, sabbatical leaves, great vacation package, work/life balance, life event benefits, casual work attire, stocked café, 401(k) match, and plenty of opportunities to grow!