Not all heroes wear capes — but plenty of them use toilet paper
Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world? Come join the revolootion!
Funny name, serious business
We make eco-friendly products and donate 50% of our profits to provide clean water and help build toilets for the billions of people who lack proper access. So far, we’ve contributed over $11.22 million AUD (roughly $7.5 million USD) to fund sanitation projects around the globe. Basically, we’re really good at doing good.
With hubs in Australia, the Philippines, China, the US, UK and Europe, our amazing team of 200+ work to make the biggest possible impact for people and the planet. Over the next couple of years, we’re hoping to increase our annual donation tenfold to get us closer to our dream of everyone in the world having access to clean water and sanitation services.
A bit about the role
As an impact-focused business, we have come a long way, but there’s still billions of dollars needed to meet our mission. Securing our first capital raise in 2021, we are using it to unlock new ways of scaling the business including launching new products, expanding deeper into existing markets (hello retail!), and hiring the people needed to make it happen. Our Numbers Scrunchers team is the engine that drives our business forward and as our new Senior Accountant, Global you are the eyes and ears of our accounting function - keeping the company’s day to day transactional financial activities in check, ensuring that we have accurate and timely records, and have helped execute processes for scale.
You’ll love this role if you are hungry for the chance to improve and build on systems in place - maybe bringing us solutions that we haven’t even thought of yet - and are eager to immerse yourself in the Who Gives A Crap way of doing things so as to provide all our functions with better financial insights. Reporting to the Finance Director (currently hiring) and mentoring the Financial Accountant - Payroll Lead and an AR Expert, you’ll provide expertise and capacity to our accounting operations alongside business partnering skills and ownership of the following key financial aspects of the business:
- Preparing the journal entries for the UK, US and PH entities and performing the initial review of the P&L and balance sheet and becoming the SME on these geos.
- Overseeing the global payroll function end-to-end, working with the Payroll Accountant and People & Culture to provide insights and identify risks and opportunities as well as supporting the reconciliation between the financial and management reporting
- Managing the AR function and providing recommendations for its ongoing operation and scalability
- Assisting in the transition of the third party bookkeeper workloads into the internal Number Scrunchers team
We’re a remote-first business and our Number Scrunchers team spans across Australia and the Philippines. However we’re also open to anyone in the US and UK who is comfortable aligning to at least 4 hours of core collaboration time with your greater team.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- You’ve worked with the Transformation team on our ERP implementation, and got into some new tools that level-up our accounting.
- You’ve jumped into the global Payroll system implementation & executed on our first payrun on the new system
- You’ve contributed to the work that expands of our retail offerings and owning the commencement of new AR relationships
- You've helped the team close the monthly numbers
- You've collaborated closely with the Financial Controller to reduce month-end timing, and in doing so were able to share financial insights to other business units faster than ever 🙌
- You've worked closely with our FP&A team to distribute P&L ownership to different Head of Functions across the business and provided insight on variances to budgets and forecasts
- You've shared crucial insights from our current accounts in Number Scruncher team meetings, and raised a hand to lead an improvement project to tighten up our finance processes
- You've held a Number Scrunchers 101 information session with our new starters so that they get familiar with the ins and outs of the finance function
- You did a mini celebration dance when finally got that pesky account to balance….correctly!
Let’s talk about you
You’re an accountant by trade
With depth of experience in financial and management accounting (this one is important as we will be giving you sign off and ownership early into your role), you'll bring a toolkit of accounting best practices to the role. You’re excited to apply your skills in a new setting and eager to get deep into the nuts and bolts of how we work as a business.
You <3 feedback
While there might be parts of this role that you will not have had experience with before, you’ll be hungry to jump in and learn the tools as you go. You’re also excited about the chance to offer helpful feedback and insights around opportunities for us to improve our ways of working when it comes to accounting and finance operations!
You keep things running like a machine
You’re a process and efficiency guru, deadlines are drilled into your brain and you’re always looking to improve -- both your own work and the work around you.
Collaboration is key (you live by this motto!)
Your fellow team members love working with you because they get results and answers. You love working with others because you get a glimpse into how different parts of the business work. You are driven to enhance the way we work because you know you’ll help other functions get better visibility of our financial reporting and financial health across the business.
You give a crap
Do you want your work to make the world a better place? Do you want to work with other people who feel the same way? What a coincidence — us too!
Why should you work with us?
First off, as a certified B Corp™, we work to make a difference every day while maintaining the highest standards of social and environmental impact. With our most recent score of 125.5 we’re in very good company with other exceptional B Corps around the world.
We also believe that helping to make the world a better place should be rewarded accordingly – that’s why we offer competitive, market informed salaries, meaningful support towards healthcare for our team around the world, generous paid leave, tailored learning and development opportunities, and free toilet paper (yes, you read that right).
Our engagement surveys (thanks Culture Amp!) tell us that our team is really proud (98%) to work for Who Gives A Crap and, well, we couldn’t be more proud of that.
Have you made it this far?
If you’re still reading, we think there’s a strong chance you might be our kind of person. Here’s the thing, though — research suggests that 60% of women and underrepresented folks might have already talked themselves out of applying. Even if you don’t check every box above, we want to encourage you to introduce yourself. We believe a diversity of perspectives and experiences makes a team stronger — and the stronger our team, the closer we are to delivering toilets and clean water for all.
When you will hear back from us
In case you missed it, the talent team will be pausing for our annual IRL gathering. We're looking forward to reviewing your applications once we return on May 29th, 2023.