Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world?
A bit about us:
Hi, we’re Who Gives a Crap! We make eco-friendly toilet paper (as well as tissues and paper towels) and donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for the 2 billion people in need.
We absolutely love doing good, but we’re also exceptionally good at it. To date, we’ve donated over AUD$8.3 million (roughly USD$5.9 million) to fund sanitation projects around the globe. We’ve grown quickly – selling directly to customers across three continents and establishing a strong B2B business that’s expanding to the US market this year.
Our team is made up of over 100 amazing humans working out of Melbourne, Los Angeles, China, and Manila. We’re working hard to reach our ambitious goals and diversify our product range to ensure we can have the greatest impact possible – both for the planet and its people. With your help, we’re hoping to increase our annual donation 10-fold in the next couple of years and continue to make the most beautiful, eco-friendly goods around.
A bit about the role:
We’re rapidly growing our Digital Product in-house team and on the hunt for more Product Designers (UX/UI) to join our merry band!
As our Product Designer, you’ll ensure we deliver a seamless and best-in-class digital experience that works beautifully for our customers and our business. Reporting to our Product Design Lead (who we’re also actively recruiting for!) you’ll support the product roadmap from ideation to delivering new design solutions that help build the future of our online experience including building out a subscribers portal, help us launch a new brand (including new products and categories in new markets and geos), and help us rethink how we engage the user experience in a way that speaks to our impact and mission.
You’ll develop ownership across our customer or internal experience (take your pick from new customer, returning, or B2B/Ops/CX to create your own adventure!) and lend your design chops to elevating our onsite experience and keeping our unique playfulness without ever feeling derivative. You’ll help maintain and establish a design system alongside our in-house Product Design and Creative teams that supports collaboration and inclusivity. You'll also get to dig into insights and uncover opportunities we didn’t see before, turning those opportunities into delightful design solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a high-growth startup while applying your skills to a meaningful cause (we donate 50% of our profits to charity). You’ll also work within a collaborative team of experienced humans who care just as much about helping their teammates grow as they do about making a difference in the world. And... we get to make toilet jokes all day.
While we’re hiring this role for our Los Angeles and Melbourne hubs, we still want to hear from you if you’re up for dedicating yourself to the PST timezone from afar.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- Supported the redesign of our subscriber dashboard by working with our Design and Engineering counterparts, the Creative team, our external agency partners, and our broader customer experience team to roll it out
- Contributed to our quarterly planning process to nut out the work we have ahead of us, aligning on our cross-functional priorities against our annual strategy
- Collaborated with our Growth Marketing team to revise our digital product dashboards, ensuring everyone has visibility into how the site is performing and validating your design thinking work
- Lent your creative brain to helping rethink how we manage Gift Cards, getting your hands dirty and experimenting with new Shopify Apps and deciding how to best move forward
- Joined our DE&I committee and championed inclusive initiatives to bake into what we’re doing at all levels for culture, talent, and growth
- Wireframed, prototyped, and shipped a portfolio of products and features elbow-to-elbow with our Product Design Lead, Sr. Product Designer, and your PM and Engineering counterparts that ladders up to a world-class user experience
- Designed a new layout or template so well that Shopify integrates it into their theme engine
- Collaborated with engineering to prototype a new in-home device that helps us learn from our customers and help them seamlessly reorder
- Kept your finger on the pulse for best-in-class Design and industry trends and continually analyzed our competitive landscape to stay ahead of the curve and proactively find opportunities to improve our user experience
- Were a key player in our virtual sprints, standups, retrospectives, and other ceremonies to keep the team aligned and focused
- Took a picture of your toilet for a hilarious matching game of thrones aptly called Whose Loo Is It Anyways for our co-founder and Chief of Product & Purpose’s birthdays
- Created easter eggs and moments of delight into the site that are so enjoyable, they go viral and are featured on design blogs
- Put your slideshow and presentation chops to good use by helping our Head of Product design and co-host our very first Digital Product 101 session for new hires
Who you are:
You design the crap out of pixels for a living
And you have the digital portfolio to prove it. Sounds obvious, right? It’s super important that you’re experienced in digital design and, ideally, you’ve applied these skills to the user experience. You’re comfortable with industry design and agile practices, you’re able to navigate your way around the usual tools (you dream in Sketch, Figma, InVision, and Creative Suite) and you still love to map out a solution using good old conversation and pencil and paper. You’ve got experience creating interfaces, large-scale digital experience or maybe even applications and you can take them from planning to prototyping right through to implementation.
You <3 user experience
You’ve got a sixth and seventh sense when it comes to design, and what sets you apart is your ability to innately apply your design thinking to understanding and solving user problems. You’re easily able to walk in your users’ shoes to identify issues and your toolkit is full of methodologies and approaches to thoughtful and considered research to provide you more insights. In fact, you’re so damn good at this you’re always finding yourself rolled into helping other departments solve their problems (and you secretly love it).
You are an expert collaborator
Your work touches every part of the business and you are highly collaborative across all teams, hubs, and levels of Who Gives A Crap. You encourage open communication and advocate for shared positive outcomes. People trust you and you’re able to build a reputation as an expert as well as a teammate. You’re able to clearly define a value proposition and seamlessly articulate it, generating support and buy-in from both key stakeholders team members.
You naturally level-up those around you
You’re a life-long learner and builder, and that comes full circle when it comes to teammates: you work alongside others who encourage and inspire you to be your best (and vice versa) so everyone grows together to level-up. You set a level of mastery of your work such that everyone around you is inspired to grow and achieve their potential.
You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Why you should work with us:
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger an impact we’ll have. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s a pretty great perk, but we don’t stop there…
If you have a great idea, we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you’ll work with an incredible bunch of passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
The job is also super flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow really quickly. We started the business remotely, and now have hubs in 4 cities around the world. Until the WFH "new normal" took effect, the LA creative team spent three days in our Downtown office, and two days working from home. We plan to pick this schedule back up once it’s safe to do so! And while we don’t have a Friday drinks cart (yet), you will get free toilet paper. A lot of it. And nothing beats that.
Lastly, you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
This depends on your experience but just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in. In other words, we pay competitively and are determined to make this the best job you'll ever have!
Who Gives A Crap also provides 4 weeks paid annual vacation (yay!), flexibility to take extra unpaid leave, private health insurance coverage, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a whole lot of other stuff.
We’re also not the only ones who think that working at Who Gives A Crap is pretty unbeatable. We feel so honoured to have been recognized for the second year in a row on BuiltIn LA’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and most recently also on the “Best Mid-sized Places to Work” list. This selection was based on the value of our culture programs, company perks, benefits, and salary packages, and we’re listed alongside other notable names in the startup, bcorp, tech, and e-comm space. We don’t toot our horns often, so this is an extra bashful share. Check out some of our other US-based jobs featured on BuiltIn LA, and spread the word to other talented folks in your network who might be the perfect fit!