Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world?
A bit about us
Hi, we’re Who Gives A Crap! We make eco-friendly toilet paper (as well as tissues and paper towels) and donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for the 2 billion people in need. We love doing good, and we happen to be exceptionally good at it too! To date, we’ve donated over AUD$8.3 million (roughly USD$5.9 million) to fund sanitation projects around the globe.
Our team is made up of over 120 amazing humans in Australia, the Philippines, China, the US and Europe and we’re working hard to reach our ambitious goals to create the greatest impact possible – for people and the planet. How ambitious you ask? Well, it involves increasing our annual donation 10-fold in the next couple of years to get closer to our mission – toilets and clean water for all!
A bit about the role
As our Product Engineering Director, you’ll be taking ownership of our architecture and codebase, technical implementation and execution to help us develop a technical platform strategy that would make Google think twice about getting into the TP market. You’ll help us measure performance (both digital experiences and team) and find new ways to test creative ideas. You’ll build innovative technology solutions that intersect the physical and digital world and leverage the latest and greatest technical thinking to bring delight to our customers and massive impact to the world.
Reporting directly to the Head of Digital Product, you’ll help build and scale the right engineering team, network and solutions as we grow. You’ll represent technology to the organization and work cross-functionally with our Creative, Logistics, and CX teams to constantly iterate our experiences and find new areas of opportunity. From artificial intelligence and machine learning to augmented and virtual reality, if you can dream it, we will help you build it. We’re about much more than just toilet paper and you are more than an amazing engineer. If you want to do the best work of your career, collaborate with a global team, make the world a better place (and have fun doing it) - you’ve come to the right place!
While we’re hiring this role for our Los Angeles and Melbourne hubs, we still want to hear from you if you’re up for dedicating yourself to the PST timezone from afar.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- You’ve collaborated with the Head of Digital Product to define the technology roadmap, create an architectural framework and keep the data flowing so our cross-functional teams, communications and work is super transparent (bonus points: tech is never considered a mystery)
- You’ve danced your way through weekly sprint ceremonies and kept a strong pulse on priorities, projects, productivity and throughput
- Owned our agile development, created sprint forecasts and kept our crapacity (this is our capacity and balance measure) looking healthy, feasible and on-task
- Enthusiastically celebrated the unveiling of our FY22 Strategy and 5 year vision in our annual IRL and starting brushing up on your ocean pun game
- Defined our manual and automated testing approach that helped us proactively catch issues and bugs, saving our users and feedback loop any friction and headaches (whew!)
- As the expert in all things Shopify, you educated the team and company on what is/is not possible for our order and checkout journey, and put your “scrappy” cap on to help the business uncover new areas of opportunity to bring even more delight to our customers.
- You’ve helped develop a secret “easter egg” hidden in the site that is so amusing and surprising that it goes viral on technology blogs and forums you’ve crushed on for years.
- Collaborated on our 5-year vision, defining key moments for technology to solve for major upgrades to our user interactions, and in turn, for our business’s growth goals (spoiler alert: you’ll still get to do this).
- Evaluated, built and nurtured vendor relationships in a way that ensures super efficient (and painless) collaboration happens and code hand-offs feel like Christmas morning
- Led a brainstorm / hackathon to find new and exciting ways for our returning customers to reorder through personalized technology
- Shared your thoughts and ideas to our company-wide DE&I, Work From Home, Customer Insights and CultureAmp surveys to make sure we are supporting you, your team and future teammates with a world-class culture experience
- Recorded yourself shaking and waving your way through Zoom with your Digital Product teammates that resulted in a punny and heart-warming IRL video recap that may or may not have been sung by Celine Dion
Who you are
You eat fullstack for breakfast
You know the latest in front end frameworks and know how to decide what cloud services we should be using to host and to scale our experience. You definitely have strong experience with one or more ecommerce platforms (ideally Shopify but let’s still talk if it’s Magento or something else), and you understand and can assess the trade-offs of custom vs. out of the box approaches. </humble brag>
You <3 users
Whether it’s evaluating feature requests, keeping a dozen steps ahead on roadmap items, or dreaming up new initiatives, you are always keeping the end user at heart in all that your team does. You have an incredible intuition for anticipating customer issues and you’re always looking for ways to reduce friction for internal and external users. But you don’t settle for “good”, you’re always on the lookout for places to hide truly delightful content or functionality.
Scrappy is your middle name
You lean into the scrappy spirit to identify new ideas and tech, and test those approaches. You’ve launched, iterated, and scaled multiple digital products; and enhanced and improved inherited code bases managing to throw out the bathwater, not the baby. You’ve also had your hands in release processes and deployment management. All of this as an individual contributor and as a leader.
You’re a roll model (pun intended)
You care deeply about the people you work with, and it shows. You’re known to lead by example and promote an environment of experimentation and a thirst for learning. You’re continually levelling yourself and your team up by harnessing excellent habits, keeping communication and inspiration flowing, going after goals big and small, supporting each other, holding each other accountable, and celebrating the wins together.
You’re a Jack or Jill of all trades
You love to think strategically whilst being tactical. You really love code but you’ve also got an eye for good design. You obsess over delightful UX but you’re comfortable being scrappy. You speak developer-ese and designer-ese fluently. You get the gist.
You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Phew, ok... let’s take a pause. Research suggests that at this point up to 60% of those identifying as women or under-represented folks might have talked themselves out of applying. But here’s the thing, you don’t have to check every box and we are serious about the growth and development of all those who join us. So please - introduce yourself and let us know about you!
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger our impact. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s pretty great, but we don’t stop there…
The job is amazingly flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow quickly.
Our benefits are designed to support and be responsive to our healthy, happy and thriving team. On top of what you’d expect from a people-first team like ours, we offer tailored learning & development opportunities, generous paid parental leave, support through our parent and caregivers portal - Circle In, access to our digital mental wellbeing platform - Uprise… did we mention free TP? Oh, and you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
We are passionate about fair and equitable remuneration. We pay competitively and thoughtfully based on your experience, the market and our insights. Just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in.
We’re not the only ones who think that working at Who Gives A Crap is pretty unbeatable. We’re honoured to have been recognised for the second year in a row on BuiltInLA’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and most recently on their “Best Mid-sized Places to Work” list.
We’re also humbled to have recently received our sixth consecutive Culture Amp engagement score of 90+ and as a certified B Corp, we're committed to the highest standards of social and environmental impact as a profit-for-purpose business.
How we roll
We are actively seeking team members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds because we believe a diversity of perspectives and experiences is what makes a strong team. The stronger our team the closer we are to our mission – toilets and clean water for all. So come join us! We're looking for people of all genders, races, nationalities, orientations, abilities and disabilities to come sit at our table. We don't care about your income, education or employment history either. Really! The only thing we're a stickler on is species – you have to be a person.