Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world
A bit about us:
Hi, we’re Who Gives a Crap! We make eco-friendly toilet paper (as well as tissues and paper towels) and donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for the 2 billion people in need.
We absolutely love doing good, but we’re also exceptionally good at it. To date, we’ve donated over AUD$8.3 million to fund sanitation projects around the globe. We’ve grown quickly – selling directly to customers across three continents and establishing a strong B2B business that’s expanding to the US market this year.
Our team is made up of over 80 amazing humans working out of Melbourne, Los Angeles, China, and Manila. We’re working hard to reach our ambitious goals and diversify our product range to ensure we can have the greatest impact possible – both for the planet and its people. With your help, we’re hoping to increase our annual donation 10-fold in the next couple of years and continue to make the most beautiful, eco-friendly goods around.
A bit about the role:
As a new roll (woop pun intended!) on our Production Team, we are on the hunt for a Quality Assurance based in our China hub to take us into our next level in the Who Gives A Crap journey. Reporting to our China Production Manager, you’ll oversee the quality standards and performance for our China factory partners, raise the game on our quality reporting and be a major contributor to the overarching quality strategy that will move the needle forward. By building quality systems for our factories and putting them into place, you’ll be ensuring we consistently meet (and exceed!) our quality milestones.
Documentation and clear communication are the keys to your success: you’re making sure our production partners understand perfectly what we expect and require, and are consistently producing to a higher quality standard. And your hard work on the quality front will be a major addition to our teams, company and audiences - energising everyone with our ethical manufacturing progress and delivering with absolute delight to our customers!
Oh, you’ll also make sure we’re having lots of fun whilst doing it!
This role is based in our China hub and will also involve some travel within China to collaborate with our fabulous group of suppliers.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- You began designing and developing quality projects for both existing products and new SKU’s in our China factories
- Made an active contribution to supplier scorecards using your expert QA lens
- Spent time working on an agenda and robust checklist to support efficient and effective supplier visits
- Went on an epic trip through China, visiting our suppliers during which you:
- Got under the skin of the manufacturing process and worked hand-in-hand with factories to get to the root cause of quality issues
- Reviewed running quality data and goods in production to pinpoint the most important and powerful changes to prioritise
- Worked collaboratively to gain commitment on solutions and timelines for quality improvement initiatives
- Created a super schmick project brief for capturing and reporting progress
- Ate turkey with your colleagues to celebrate Thanksgiving!
- Conducted some fun (and educational!) training in ethical compliance for our freelance friends
- Hung out with our mega cool Quality Control Technician and traded trade secrets! You guys are gonna be besties.
- Got up close and personal with our CHT team to drive alignment and understanding about the quality initiatives that you are driving, their delightful outcomes and the time it will take to see changes coming through at customer level. Oh, and you even had time to whip up some Guru cards to support the learning!
- Designed and published data-driven quality performance reports for internal, external and scorecard teams in which you outlined improvements already in the pipeline as well as ETA for results. Phew!
Who you are:
You <3 quality
Striving for excellence is in your DNA and you know that quality doesn’t just stop with a product that delights a customer. You believe quality is an attitude, a value and a critical part of culture. You always have a pulse on what you (and the world!) can do to make something better, and also keep your eyes on the brass ring, no matter how out of reach it may seem at times.
You can organise the crap out of things
You are a guru of tidiness, especially when it comes to projects and process. You have sound judgement when it comes to prioritising and organising, and are basically a multi-tasking version of Marie Kondo on steroids for quality assurance.
You know how to drive initiatives
Whether it’s within your team or company or externally through vendor partners, you understand how to move the needle. You have a knack for getting everyone aboard a project: you know what it looks like and communicate how to get there, and are a natural at getting everyone around you excited about raising their standards.
You are comfy being in the weeds while thinking big picture
You enjoy being hands-on with projects in order to keep a strong pulse on the details and the who/what/why/how. Being in the weeds informs your blue-sky thinking and you are able to take practical findings and turn those into process improvements, new strategies, higher standards and shared learnings.
You’re a confident and clear communicator
Clear, friendly, and effective communication with production partners is what we strive for, and what you’re naturally good at getting everyone on the same page. You’re also great at communicating with your team, sharing updates and progress. You’re proactive, conscientious and mature in your communications - both internally and externally and are able to demonstrate functional impact and importance of cross-functional clarity to all your stakeholders.
You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger an impact we’ll have. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s a pretty great perk, but we don’t stop there…
If you have a great idea, we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you’ll work with an incredible bunch of passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
The job is also super flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow really quickly. We started the business remotely, and now have hubs in 4 cities around the world. Until the WFH "new normal" took effect, the Manila team spent three days in our Downtown office, and two days working from home. We plan to pick this schedule back up once it’s safe to do so! And while we don’t have a Friday drinks cart (yet), you will get free toilet paper. A lot of it. And nothing beats that.
Lastly, you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
This depends on your experience but just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in. In other words, we pay competitively and are determined to make this the best job you'll ever have!
Who Gives A Crap also provides 4 weeks paid annual vacation (yay!), flexibility to take extra unpaid leave, private health insurance coverage, generous maternity/paternity leave and a whole lot of other stuff.