Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world?
A bit about us:
Who Gives A Crap makes toilet paper that’s good for the planet, good for people and good for your bum. All of our products are made sustainably without trees and we donate 50% of profits to help build toilets in developing countries. To date, we've donated over $1,800,000 and we're just getting started!
We're one of the fastest growing ecommerce businesses in Australia, and are now wiping bums across the US and UK markets, with super stretchy growth targets for this year and beyond. We currently have a team of about 60 people working out of “hubs” Melbourne, Manila, Los Angeles and Hong Kong. We’re never happy with the status quo, though, so we’re planning to double or triple our team in the next year, and we won’t stop growing until everyone in the world has access to a toilet. So... that’s where you come in!
A bit about the role:
We’re always striving to deliver seamless and delightful experiences for our customers that look beautiful and work even better. We started with our physical products and now we’re focusing on our digital experience which, let’s face it, needs some love. We’ve set the bar high and we’re doing our best to get all the way up there, but wow, we need your help!
As our Digital Product Designer you’ll take the reigns over the UX and visuals of our website to help us solve customer and internal problems, create more moments of delight and improve the overall performance (and therefore our impact).
You’ll apply a mix of customer insights, industry best practice and design thinking to constantly iterate on our experience and balance form, fun and function. You’ll design it, prototype it, help launch it, and decide to keep it or trash it. User testing isn’t enough and you want to get into the homes of our customers to ask them questions? You got it! You have a hunch that an app might be a better way to reach customers? We’ll help you test that! No idea is too big or too small. If you can dream it, we’ll help you design and build it.
In addition to the glamorous stuff, you’ll also help us create a systematic and templatized design system for scalability and be a major part of redesigning every nook and cranny of our digital experience.
If we look into our very fancy crystal ball, here are some things we might see you working on over the next 6 months or so:
- Led the design of a new account and subscription experience, reducing calls into our Customer Happiness Team by 50% (!!!!).
- After leading an ethnographic research study, you found that customers needed a better post-purchase to repurchase journey. So you mapped one out, went through design, prototype, and test iterations to find the best experience for our customers.
- Let’s just say there was a Tiki night and you impressed everyone.
- You helped brainstorm, design, and iterate new packaging for our products and ways to connect our customers to the digital experience through the magic of unboxing.
- You spent 5 minutes blushing into your screen reading the delightful internal feedback your latest feature received on our #kudos slack channel
- Thought about how cool it would be to build an app for our customers and then went ahead and launched a test of it only to receiving glowing praise from our customers. Or maybe it went down like a ton of bricks? Either way, it was an epic learning.
- Designed (several) new butt icons to be placed in strategic locations throughout the experience.
- Educated the company on the merits of atomic design and created the first ever component and module library to guide the future of our digital design practice.
- You realized customers didn’t always know how much TP they wanted or needed, so you worked with growth to create and test an experience powered by predictive data that would proactively adjust to a customer’s profile and buying habits.
- After getting real time feedback from our Customer Happiness Team, you prioritized a few key parts of the experiences to redesign, executed, and reduced customer reported issues to such a degree, we have the thankful emails to prove it.
Let’s talk about you
You’re a digital designer
Sounds obvious, right? It’s super important that you’re experienced in digital design and, ideally, you’ve applied these skills to the world of ecommerce. You’re comfortable with industry design and agile practices, you’re able to navigate your way around the usual tools and you still love to map out a solution using good old conversation and pencil and paper. You’ve got experience creating interfaces, large-scale digital experience or maybe even applications and you can take them from planning to prototyping right through to implementation.
You see the forest, and the trees
You know where your one piece fits into the bigger puzzle and you use this to identify when you should strive for perfection vs. send something out into the world for testing. You’re often jumping into your virtual helicopter to make sure you’re thinking through the whole experience and looking at the forest as well as the trees.
You think live outside of the box
You’re the best in the biz when it comes to innovation, optimization and out-of-the-box thinking. By the time you’re reading this you’ve probably paused to have a look over our site and could rattle off the first 5 things you’d change, but the opportunity has you buzzing!
You’ve tested and trialed some crazy ideas and will be able to think of unique ways to increase conversion, aov, retention and giggles. You might have aspired to win a webby for your inspirational design and we might just be the team that will help you get there.
You’re a skilled translator
You’ve got a sixth and seventh sense
Yeah, you know how to make stuff look good, but what sets you apart is your ability to innately apply your design thinking to understanding and solving user problems. You’re easily able to walk in your user’s shoes to identify issues and your toolkit is full of methodologies and approaches to thoughtful and considered research to provide you more insights.
In fact, you’re so damn good at this you’re always finding yourself rolled in to help other departments solve their problems (and you secretly love it).
You give a crap
Yep. Another obvious one. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger an impact we’ll have. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s a pretty great perk, but we don’t stop there…
If you have a great idea, we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you’ll work with an incredible bunch of passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
The job is also super flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow really quickly. We started the business remotely, and now have hubs in 4 cities around the world. While the LA team spends most of the week together in the Downtown office, you can also mix it up and work from home or your favourite cafe! And while we don’t have a Friday drinks cart (yet), you will get free toilet paper. A lot of it. And nothing beats that.
Lastly, you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
This depends on your experience but just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in. In other words, we pay competitively and are determined to make this the best job you'll ever have – you won’t ever want to leave!
Who Gives A Crap also provides 4 weeks of paid annual vacation (woot!), flexibility to take extra unpaid leave or travel while working, great health insurance, 401(k) matching, access to our digital mental wellbeing platform, generous maternity and paternity leave and a whole lot of other stuff. And did we mention the free toilet paper?