At White Ops, we’re all hackers. This doesn’t mean you have to hold a key to the Internet (although one of our founders does!), but it does require approaching problems in unconventional ways. We are attacking criminal botnets through the ad fraud that finances their operations. Our proprietary technology detects and prevents sophisticated online fraud. By reducing the incentives for crime, we are making the Internet a better place. Our mighty team of humans have several things in common:
We are hackers.
We create tau for ourselves and each other.
We think big and move fast.
We practice humility.
We “pwn it”.
What we do:
We keep the Internet safe by fighting organized cybercrime. Our products accurately detect and prevent even the most sophisticated bots and our customers include some of the web's largest and most forward-thinking companies.
What you’ll do:
Our primary weapon in the fight against cyber crime is our ability to extract and deliver the right set of signal from an ocean of noise (i.e. the Internet). The data we provide has lead to the takedown of several major ad fraud operations.
The humans you will guide are primarily responsible for building and maintaining the data architectures, pipelines, and tools that are core to our product. This expanding team of data engineers is in need of a servant leader who can act as a sounding board when working through hard problems and will get their hands dirty supporting them as they tackle new markets and scale to handle trillions of events a day.
More specifically, you will:
- Play an active role in developing a team of data engineers through active coaching, career mentoring, and hiring additional uniquely inspiring humans
- Delight a wide range of internal and external customers ranging from data scientists, ML engineers, customer support, fraud analysts and fellow data engineers ingesting our data into their data warehouses
- Support current data engineering capabilities while looking to expand the team into serving new markets and developing new skills like machine learning engineering
- Partner closely with other leaders to assemble high-functioning, mission-driven teams with the right mixture of skills to deliver value as quickly and effectively as possible
- Thrive in an environment built on teamwork, shared learning, and working hard to make it easy
Who you are:
- You are a servant leader with a strong sense of "pwnership" that drives you to find ways to innovate and empower everyone in the organization
- You understand the importance of Deep Work for all knowledge workers to do their best work and know how best to protect it
- You have 7+ years of experience solving big data problems with a focus on data engineering and business intelligence tools
- You have 2+ years of experience leading humans
- You are knowledgeable about modern data warehouses (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake, PostgreSQL), distributed message queueing services (Kafka, RabbitMQ, SQS), data cache technology (Redis, Memcached) and the various ETL tools that are available to build robust data pipelines
- You know enough Python and/or Java to offer feedback on a PR or evaluate the skillset of a potential candidate
- You realize that one of the best ways to serve your team is through gathering and providing radical candor as well as receiving it so everyone can develop
- You are an excellent communicator
The Data Platform team's stack:
Python, AWS, EMR, Snowflake, PostgreSQL, Airflow, Kafka, PySpark, RabbitMQ, Looker, DataDog, Gitlab, SonarQube, Java, Spring Boot
About White Ops:
Our mission is to protect the internet by verifying the humanity of every online transaction. Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, we now serve trillions of monthly decisions for some of the web’s largest platforms. Our technology protects digital advertisers, publishers, ad tech, and enterprise businesses globally by detecting and blocking bots. It’s an ongoing war that we happily fight every day.
Life at White Ops:
Our HQ office is centrally located in NYC in the heart of the Flatiron District. We had approximately 100% headcount growth in the past year and we are growing the company deliberately, with a keen eye towards maintaining a culture that values diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing meaningful work and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We have many world class customers who use our platform • We're focused and propelled by a substantive mission • We're building a very sophisticated product that fights a real threat to humanity • We're committed to building a product companies need • We have created an environment that optimizes your skills and brings out your best work