Welcome to Team Whistle, an entertainment media brand that creates, curates and distributes brand-safe video content that is positive, relatable and uplifting.
Team Whistle inspires its highly-engaged audience by blending proprietary data-driven insights and showcasing unparalleled in-house production capabilities through original programming across multiple passion points.
Join Team Whistle, including New Form (our LA-based studio) and Vertical Networks (our mobile-first lifestyle studio), across all social platforms, digital streaming and linear cable networks to discover everything from scripted to unscripted shows.
Who You Are:
You are a self-starter who can communicate effectively across our internal and external partners, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast paced, ever changing environment. You are a transactions attorney savvy in entertainment matters, and will be responsible for day-to-day client support, contract drafting, negotiation and maintenance in connection with our diverse linear, digital, social and other new media development, production and distribution matters. You can hold your own at the negotiating table and skillfully put together an impeccable contract to close the deal. You have an excellent ability to issue spot, assess risk and resolve legal issues quickly and effectively, while maintaining clear focus on achieving our business objectives.
This role will be based out of Whistle’s office in Los Angeles or New York and reports to our Vice President, Legal & Business Affairs.
Primary Job Description:
Our business and legal affairs practice includes all aspects of intellectual property licensing, original programming, talent agreements, pre-publication review of content and regulatory compliance. As Legal & Business Affairs Counsel, you will:
- Serve as dedicated legal and business affairs support for internal and external partners, advising primarily on original and branded entertainment and production-related matters, including agreements for talent, cast and crew, engaging industry unions, tracking rights and permissions, adhering to company production and development standards, and other matters related to scripted and unscripted programming.
- Draft and negotiate services agreements, licensing agreements, production agreements, talent agreements, vendor agreements, advertising and sponsorship agreements.
- Counsel social media, talent and production teams on branded content campaigns and original programming from ideation through execution.
- Review campaigns/ content for regulatory compliance (e.g. FTC, COPPA, Sweeps), rights clearance
- Counsel development and production teams on original programming from ideation through execution.
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims, employment and other HR matters
- Assist in corporate privacy compliance
- Identify, assess and inform management and business managers of legal and business risks, and recommend creative solutions.
- Have a practical, solutions-oriented approach when counseling internal and external stakeholders, including production and development teams, external counsel and consultants and other third-party vendors.
- Review and advise regarding intellectual property issues and clearance as to content in the productions
- Maintain legal and business affairs infrastructure, company records, databases
- Conduct contract analysis and provide ongoing risk analysis in connection with a variety of matters including, but not limited to, insurance, employment and corporate matters
- Assist with efforts to develop and refine forms, processes and procedures.
- Provide support for the Legal and Business Affairs team where needed.’
- BA/BS and JD degree from a top tier law school.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the California state bar.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ prior experience, ideally gained at a combination of a nationally-recognized law firm and in-house in a network/studio or production/media company.
- Basic understanding of the transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media/production company, including content production, guild/union issues, distribution deals, content review,
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating agreements required.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property law, with a strong desire to learn and keep current with new areas of the law.
- Deep knowledge of entertainment industries and related transactions.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, collegial and self-motivated
- Ability to manage multiple matters and accommodate tight deadlines while working in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment; flexibility or long hours, if and when necessary.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, AdobeSign, Trello and other task management platforms; willingness to adopt new tools and systems
- Understanding and willingness to learn new digital distribution platforms.
- Strong desire to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Pride in distilling complex legal topics to non-legal stakeholders
- Ability to work independently but also be a team player.
- Positive, “can do” attitude.