Do you love the challenge of working at a rapid pace, drawing insights out of large amounts of complicated data, and building and deploying machine learning models to help bring those insights to customers?
The Pet Insight Project has been built fresh, from the ground up, with modern best-in-class technologies. In a short time, our small team (with the support of the larger Whistle developer community) has created a brand-new system, built around our unique machine learning algorithms that have been trained and validated on an unmatched volume of real-world data. While there’s plenty of work left to be done, we are building out and scaling up, and our system is already helping us to understand the life of a pet on a second-by-second basis, in a level of detail never explored before.
Your job will be to explore this previously untapped data and - through statistical analysis and machine learning models - help pet owners understand their pet’s behaviors, and what those behaviors can tell them about their pet’s health:
- Create systems to detect and alert owners to potential health problems using changes in the pet’s behaviors.
- Utilize electronic medical records to help pet owners - and petcare professionals -understand which changes in a pet’s behaviors may be indicative of a serious health condition and which might simply be due to that pesky rainstorm that kept you in the house all week.Develop models to answer targeted questions like “Was Fido already fed today?”, “Did he go for a walk?”, “Is his skin allergy improving?”, or even “Could the fact that he's going up and down the stairs slower than he used to suggest that he could be getting arthritis?”.
Our backend is primarily Python and we use many of the common scientific packages extensively, including PyTorch, Pandas, and scikit-learn. We output much of the data we calculate for each dog to a distributed file system so that we can use big-data tools like Spark to help us understand it. Where appropriate, we use other AWS services, and we are open to maturing and improving our systems via other technologies.
- Design, develop, implement, test, and maintain models to help owners understand their pet’s behaviors and alert them to relevant changes that could indicate potential medical conditions. This will involve developing time-series modeling methodologies to track changes in estimated behaviors and correlating these changes with their electronic medical records.
- Improve and extend machine learning models used to predict a dog’s behavior from sensor-based time-series data.
- Contribute to the creation, deployment, and scaling of machine learning and predictive algorithms in a production environment.
- Perform population level statistical analysis to create insights to help veterinarians better manage the health of pets.
Here's what we're looking for in a strong candidate:
- Technical degree (BS/MS/PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics).
- 5+ years experience in software development, and familiarity with the Python analytics tools suites (pandas, numpy, Jupyter notebooks, etc.).
- Strong experience in writing and maintaining production level code.
- Knowledge of statistics and the ability to communicate clearly with graphs and visuals.
Extra treats for:
- Experience working with electronic medical records (EMRs).
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP) and text mining.
- Experience with machine learning, including scikit-learn and/or PyTorch.
- Experience with statistical modeling, and hypothesis testing.
Whistle was born out of our love for pets. As the world’s first technology company dedicated to helping pets live longer and happier lives, we build solutions for common problems faced by pet parents everywhere. Whether a pet is an escape artist, an avid adventurer or a happy couch potato, Whistle provides information and insights to help ensure both pets and their people stay healthy and happy for years to come.
Backed by the largest petcare company in the world, Whistle is now embarking on one of the largest big data health initiatives in the world: Pet Insight Project (www.petinsight.com). By observing pets’ behavior and health histories with unprecedented detail and scale, we seek to detect previously unseen patterns that are early indicators of changes in well-being. This role is a part of the Pet Insight team and will be critical in the research and development that will guide the next generation of petcare.
Our current market-leading products include a cellular-enabled GPS tracker and a WiFi & Bluetooth-enabled activity monitor. We do all design and development in-house, from PCB design to embedded software, data analytics to mobile apps. Our pack thrives on solving hard problems in nimble teams.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a highly independent, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility is a must, then Whistle might be the place for you.