Whisper.ai is a team of leading artificial intelligence, hearing care, hardware, and software experts coming together to solve the #1 need for 360 million people with hearing loss -- hearing another person speak in even the noisiest situations.
The Whisper Hearing System uses Speech Separation technology powered by Artificial Intelligence and a proprietary dataset to separate speech from noise in real-time. Unlike traditional hearing aids, which simply amplify everything in the room, the Whisper Hearing System uses artificial intelligence-based signal processing algorithms to amplify the people you’re listening to, even in noisy restaurants. By changing the way we think about hearing aid form and function, Whisper is changing what is possible.
Based in San Francisco, Whisper is lucky to have the support of great investors including Sequoia Capital, First Round Capital, Quiet Capital, IVP, and more.
We're looking for a Technical Lead for our Machine Learning team to build the future of hearing instruments and take on significant leadership and responsibility at a fast-growing startup.
Machine learning is core to Whisper’s innovative hearing aid. As machine learning technical lead, your work will directly drive the daily audio experience of every Whisper patient. You will work with engineering leadership to plan and execute against ambitious machine learning roadmaps, provide technical guidance and mentorship to a team of life long learners and doers, and advance the state of the art in edge computing, acoustic simulation and training systems, perceptual loss functions, and acoustic machine learning performance for hearing aids.
This is a very applied role - you should be excited to improve patient’s daily lives by defining data collection and labeling strategy, developing and improving offline product iteration tools, improving embedded inference capabilities, working cross functionally with hardware and firmware in making forward looking architecture decisions, and training models to improve denoising and signal processing in a state of the art hearing aid.
- Effective technical lead with 5+ years experience shipping machine learning products on audio, image, or related datasets.
- Strong experience developing training data, metrics, and tools to improve model performance based on field data and product input.
- Experience with TF2 and Keras or other ML frameworks, distributed training, and cloud infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques and deep learning models.
- BS, MS, or PhD in CS, Statistics, or related technical field.
- Proficient in Python and familiarity with other systems languages (e.g. C/C++).
- Clear communication skills and a team multiplier.
- Prior experience in a technical leadership position.
- Passion for or prior experience in edge compute and audio processing.
- Experience with classical signal processing techniques.
- Experience with GCS, TPUs, Pandas, visualization tools, and map reduce frameworks like Spark.
- Published papers in top machine learning conferences.
- A personal connection to improving hearing health.
If you're interested in immediate ownership of company defining decisions, and work which directly helps 360MM+ people hear again - we'd love to hear from you.
Whisper is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce with an inclusive working environment for everyone to do their best work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.