Are you an experienced proposal writer who is a storyteller at heart? Do you thrive in a role where you can take initiative and think creatively? Are you looking for a role that has impact as part of a growing small business? Wheelhouse Group is searching for a motivated, resourceful, and enthusiastic proposal lead who can bring to life the exciting work we do to support our clients.
As a member of a small, collaborative team, the Proposal Lead will be responsible for leading all bid and proposal functions. The ideal candidate will be a strong and concise writer and have experience with the full proposal lifecycle. A proposal “jack of all trades,” the person in this role will help shape and build our proposal writing and management function. They will serve as a strategic leader, writer and content developer, editor, and project manager, partnering with other capture and business development team members to help our company continue to grow.
This is a full-time, remote role.
- Proposal Writing and Management
- Lead all planning and writing of Wheelhouse Group proposals (including but not limited to responses to RFIs, RFPs, RFQs, and other related content such as oral presentations or vehicle onramping data calls); manage multiple projects/proposals simultaneously
- Coordinate with leadership team, technical SMEs, pricing lead, and staffing teams to lead kick-off meetings and develop response strategies (win themes, pricing approach, staffing needs, etc.)
- Write content, composing an engaging story that is compliant and aligns with scoring criteria; incorporate feedback from leadership and SMEs to ensure a consistent story, tone and style that will resonate with clients
- Manage the proposal development process from start to finish (analyzing requirements, establishing a schedule, leading kick-off meetings and color team reviews, developing a compliance matrix, coordinating SME input, completing final review and submission)
- Proposal Strategy and Planning
- Work with the rest of the team to establish and meet business development goals
- Develop and maintain a calendar of upcoming proposals, identifying the level of effort and resources needed to be successful
- Manage proposal surge resources (as needed) and help plan for future staffing needs as the team grows
- Help maintain ongoing relationships with prime contractors and support requests related to executing option years and winning recompetes
- Ensure transparency across a matrixed team, including leading monthly leadership status meetings, supporting updates and reporting for quarterly meetings, coordinating directly with client-facing teams
- Processes and Best Practices
- Recommend and implement best practices to improve efficiency and quality of proposal development responses
- Maintain and continually update a library of standard/boilerplate proposal language, Wheelhouse methodologies, past performance examples, proposal graphics, and response templates
- Lead internal debriefs following proposal submissions and apply lessons learned to future proposals
- Support other operational functions, including monitoring the release of government solicitations, documenting the status of proposals in our CRM system, and ensuring all proposal files are kept up to date
- Complete other writing assignments related to marketing, business development and other in-house projects, as necessary
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including proposal writing experience
- Exceptional writing skills and experience writing for varying stakeholders/audiences; familiarity with change management, stakeholder engagement and communications, and technology adoption strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to craft tailored proposal responses based on understanding of the client requirements
- Experience with and strong understanding of Federal procurement processes and the full lifecycle of proposal development, including capture and bid planning, shredding RFPs, developing compliance matrices, and leading color team reviews
- Active listening skills; ability to translate input from SMEs, clients, or other team members into a cohesive proposal response
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams) skills, including using and maintaining Word templates
- Ability to work independently, adjust to shifting priorities, and turn around projects on short timelines
- Excellent organization, communication, and project planning skills, with a sharp attention to detail, accuracy and quality, even on time-sensitive projects
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously; effectively manage time and prioritize workload
- Thrives in cross-functional, matrixed, and multi-disciplinary team structures
- Driven, enthusiastic team player confident in taking initiative and thinking creatively
EOE, including disability/vets.