Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce.
We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
🏎 About the Go-to-Market Team
The Go-to-Market team at Whatnot is responsible for the expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform. Partnerships is responsible for identifying, launching, and fully owning all sides of new high-potential product verticals.
Go-to expert of your category
- Become the go-to expert on your category, including seller/buyer dynamics, community channels, influencers, and product nuances
- Become the face of Whatnot for the community of sellers and buyers that you represent
Seller outreach and onboarding
- Source and reach out to sellers to convince them to join and grow their business on Whatnot. Leverage social media, outbound channels, and in-person events
- Onboard groups of sellers teaching them them how to use the app
- Build and maintain strong relationships with sellers and top strategic partners to support their growth and meet their needs
- Collaborate with partners to develop business growth strategies and communicate product improvements and feedback
Marketing and growth
- Spearhead diverse marketing initiatives, such as influencer partnerships/campaigns, to boost brand awareness and attract more buyers
- Use basic data analytics skills (SQL) to derive insights from projects and enhance process efficiency
- Utilize key data points to assess category growth, success, and areas for improvement, driving continuous iteration
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
- You have a passion for our mission at Whatnot - you live and breathe the needs of our communities and work relentlessly to improve their experiences on Whatnot
- You have up to 3 years of experience working in a fast-paced, client-facing role, and a track record of working quickly and iteratively
- You are scrappy and flexible enough to work in an ambiguous environment with limited guidance
- You are a problem solver with strong project management skills and the ability to fully own strategy and execution on both sides of an emerging marketplace
- You have business acumen, are deeply analytical, and comfortable understanding and manipulating data to gain and take action on business insights
🙏 Nice to Have
- Experience at a high-growth startup, marketplace, or creator-focused platform
- Proficiency in SQL
- Passion for creator communities and/or new product categories that are uniquely suited to live ecommerce
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces
For US-based applicants: $80,000 - $125,000/year + benefits + stock options
The salary range may be inclusive of several levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be based on a number of factors including, level, relevant prior experience, skills and expertise. This range is only inclusive of base salary, not benefits (more details below) or equity in the form of stock options.
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.