WeWork is the platform for creators, providing hundreds of thousands of members across the globe with space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and craft their life's work. Our mission is to build a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
WeWork is crafting a layer of technology to power our vision of “space as a service”. From identifying, designing and building a new location, to bringing that space to market in an elastic, easy-to-consume way, to seamlessly operating these spaces to delight our members, we are building state-of-the-art systems to automate, optimize, and improve the experience. The data we are collecting is being used to dynamically optimize utilization, pricing, even layout and form factor. This technology advantage has allowed WeWork to scale to 200+ buildings in 20+ counties and will be our competitive advantage as the company continues to grow.
About the Role
The Director of Legal Systems will provide leadership and support for the legal team’s operational business improvement and automation initiatives, which includes strategic oversight of new and existing document management and contract management solutions and business process re-engineering projects. In this role, you will be the technical point of contact for the legal team and will work with Legal Operations to prioritize and manage the Legal Systems initiatives for WeWork’s legal team. You will manage, coach and set strategic priorities for the Legal Systems team. You will partner with other technology teams to align with corporate standards and best practice.
In conjunction with technology stakeholder management, vendor management will be a critical element of this role. You must be able to assess the landscape of emerging legal technologies, work closely with vendors, manage/negotiate a portfolio of vendor contracts and ensure initiatives are delivered on schedule, on budget, and within scope.
This position reports into our VP of Business Systems, but will be highly collaborative with our legal department.
- Lead the Legal Systems team as a mentor, player, and coach in a hyper-growth business environment
- Partner with the legal and technical teams to understand, define, and prioritize system requirements and goals
- Design and implement a technology strategy that aligns with the strategic goals of the legal team
- Prioritize technology investment based on legal service delivery goals
- Develop and oversee technology usage, creation, storage, and sharing of information (e.g., legal research, transactional documents, historical information)
- Responsible for legal system selection, design, and implementation
- Assess emerging technologies (e.g. AI/NLP/ML), perform vendor assessments, pricing negotiations; manage contracts and partner with software vendors to fully leverage all features and functionality
- Create protocols to manage data quality
- Support and administer legal systems, including, but not limited to: DocuSign, Contract Room, BluePrint, SimpleLegal
- Liaise between legal/business and technical teams, analyze and elicit requirements, prepare comprehensive documentation, and act as a facilitator
- Participate in system and user acceptance testing efforts
- Build standards, processes and procedures, and guidelines for business users and system implementation
- Support activities associated with merging teams, people, and processes into standard enterprise systems
- Assist legal users to evaluate cost-benefit and ROI analyses
- Understand system interdependencies and collaborate with project teams accordingly
- Change management: assess organizational impact of system changes and establish a change management framework to ensure organizational readiness and continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or a related field
- 10+ years of relevant experience, with at least 5+ years of experience leading and managing teams
- Candidates must have demonstrable both in experience managing the design, development and delivery of document management and SaaS based platforms and solutions and in managing the design, development and delivery of collaboration systems, workflow solutions, document automation, and associated processes
- Strong background in applications lifecycle management and delivery is required
- Experience with contract management tools such as SpringCM, Aptus, Contract Room is preferred
- Experience with document management solutions such as NetDocuments or iManage is preferred
- Prior large law firm or large management consulting firm experience is strongly preferred
- In-depth understanding of iterative software development methodologies
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot problems that may arise in systems
- Ability to partner with software vendors and infrastructure engineers to identify course of resolutions
- Demonstrated experience writing software requirement specifications and test specifications
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills