WeWork is the platform for creators, providing hundreds of thousands of members around the world with space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
WeWork is creating a layer of technology to power our vision of “space as a service”. From identifying and designing a new location, to bringing that space to market in an elastic, easy-to-consume way, to seamlessly operating these spaces to delight our members, we are building state-of-the-art systems to automate, optimize, and improve the experience. The data we are collecting is being used to dynamically optimize utilization, pricing, even layout and form factor. This technology advantage has allowed WeWork to scale to 485+ location in 105+ cities and 465,000+ members and will be our rare advantage as the company continues to grow.
About the Role
In our business, we set aggressive quarterly goals for the business which are set by WeWork CPO and CTO. A VPoE and (down the road) site manager of Engineering & Operations is expected to lead the organization towards achieving these goals. Our management process is to set quarterly targets with six-weeks cadence check-ins to ensure we are on track to achieving the quarterly results.
The VPoE will report to a Senior Vice President of Engineering and Operations within our organization and will also serve as a key member of the global leadership team.
We are a hyper-growth organization doubling our business, run-rate, and size YoY. To meet this aggressive goal, we are required to grow both organically and through acquisitions. As a VPoE, you will play a major role in the acquisition of some of these organizations and will be expected to lead the transformation of an acquired company in a timely manner.
Overall you will be expected to run a world-class software engineering organization using radically differentiated processes. In parallel, you will be driving and engaging with operations across a variety of disciplines including SaaS Ops, IT Ops, Support, Marketing, Sales, and Finance for the newly formed Technology team in India. You will be expected to hire, coach, and manage 5-10 Director level engineering leaders who will be managing global groups.
You will be expected to be an expert at aggressive goal setting. You should drive weekly productivity improvements to obtain significant levels of value at much higher levels than that which you will find in other companies. You must continuously improve the quality of your teams using our global talent sourcing.
VPoE duties and responsibilities:
- Provide leadership at all levels of the organization
- Build up the engineering site from the ground-up by attracting top-notch high-end leaders and engineers from the local industry
- Build the site by sourcing, head-hunting, recruiting, interviewing, and mentoring new talent
- Communicate and embody the company vision and values
- Define and implement policies and performance standards
- Evaluate employee performance and provide additional coaching and support as needed
- Assess departmental and company performance and devise plans for improvement
- Manage and allocate budget resources for supplies, equipment, marketing, and personnel
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science is mandatory (M.Sc. or MBA from top universities is preferred)
- 15+ years of engineering experience in a leadership role managing multiple teams across multiple products and technologies
- This is a global leadership role for a seasoned executive, not a first executive role for a great software development manager
- Proven track record of building from the ground up and running a software organization of at least 250 persons during the last 3 years
- Be proficient at doing deep-dives into problem-solving with your teams and be able to leverage past technical expertise in software development, quality assurance, cloud infrastructure, and automated deployments using CI/CD tools and Agile methodologies
- Spent at least 5 years in a hands-on software coding and architecture role
- Managed an annual IT budget in excess of $25MM
- Recent experience with DevOps teams
- At least 1 year of experience managing an organization that makes use of IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS
- Open to travel frequently
- An advanced level of English