Job Title: Principal Data Engineer
At WeWork, data sits in the center of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our physical and digital product & features. We believe data brings everything together and it is the only way we make decisions.
Data Engineering is a team constantly striving to create an amazing experience for our customers and internal teams. We regard culture and trust highly and believe you will have a positive influence in your own way.
Location: San Francisco / New York
Who you are:
You're an experienced data engineer with extensive experience designing, implementing data solutions for various business challenges, and leading database and data warehousing initiatives.
- You’re excited to solve data challenges that combines digital and physical aspects, across multiple business verticals like Sales & Marketing, Social Media
- You're motivated to enable and collaboration with engineering, analytics and product teams to tackle the most challenging business needs
What You Will Do:
As a Data Engineer at WeWork, You will be a part of an early stage team and work with passionate leaders on highly impactful business challenges.
- Leverage data expertise to help evolve data models in various components of the data stack
- Work on architecting, building, and launching highly scalable and reliable data pipelines to support WeWork's exponential data growth
- Influence the team and entire organization positively by advocating best practices, promoting a data-driven culture
- Collaborate closely with Analytics and Data Science, as well as cross-functional teams, to leverage huge amounts of WeWork data, for data-driven business and user behavior insights
- Design, architect and implement the organization-wide key data sets
- Consistently evolve data model & data schema based on business and engineering needs
- Design and implement systems tracking data quality and consistency
- Design and develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management
- Member junior members of the team
- Maintain relationships with stakeholder teams and participate in product/feature development from data engineering and analytics perspective
- Promote data-driven culture in all technology teams by organizing/speaking at lunch & learns, architecture committees, guilds, etc
- Excellent communication skills, empathy, initiative and ownership
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering
- Strong background in data warehouse concept and design
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sql Server, Oracle)
- 3+ years of experience in cloud based data warehouse solutions (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery)
- Good understanding of SQL Engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Proficient in at least one of the programming languages (Python, bash, Java, etc)
- Familiar with at least one scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl, Bash)
- Experience with modern BI tools (Looker, Tableau, etc)
- Experience with real-time data pipelines (Kafka, Scala, Spark)
- Experience with Git and the pull request workflow
- Experience working closely with Analytics/Data Science teams
- Experience leading / managing full project lifecycles
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with Salesforce or relevant CRM tools
Critical Competencies for Success:
- You do what you love!
- Credibility is earned at WeWork through execution and getting things done.
- You are able to get into the details and deliver results under highest expectations on time and quality.
- Be ready to get hands-on with all aspects of the daily needs. The buck stops with you.
- Pragmatism and outcomes orientation are valued and lead to wins.
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You have the flexibility to think outside the box.
- We don't do everything the traditional way, and are always looking to innovate and push the envelope.
- You have the ability to foresee and identify needs of the team.
- You take an innovator and creator’s approach to any issues that may arise.
- There is no room for “I” at WeWork. Every role and individual is in the organization to serve We.
- Builds trust across the organization by being a good listener and inclusively soliciting input.
- You are open to new and innovative solutions.
- You must present well and communicate clearly and effectively to upper management and internal departments.
- You’re willing to adjust course when appropriate new ideas or objections are raised.
- You love working with people!