About the Role
We are looking for an experienced and passionate software engineering manager with proven track record in delivering web and mobile applications to production, to lead a cross functional team consisting of front end (web & mobile), full stack & backend engineers. You will be working closely with the Product, Design and your engineering team to help define and execute on projects. Strong communication skills and a desire to be involved in all aspects of the project life-cycle are a must. Strong problem solving skills, thinking outside the box and dealing with ambiguity are skills that we value. Our technology stack is primarily Ruby (Rails), React (Redux), Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android), but we are not dogmatic about it.
We thrive in our work-hard, play-hard culture. We get serious things done, then we have fun, and lots of it. If this describes where you want to work, you’ll fit right into our team.
About the team
Billing & Payments is a team that delivers technology that powers the growth of our core businesses, by providing a reliable, simple, and insightful billing and payments experience. Billing & Payments covers the entire financial journey of a member by providing the right account visibility and flexibility so they stay a member for life and grow with us. This team builds and owns various services & SDKs like the charging service that enables our members to pay us using AliPay or WechatPay; fapiao service that gives our members the capability to request for a paper fapiao or e-fapiao from the member app. This team not only develops scalable services but also builds the front end experiences (SDKs) that are customizable and re-usable across various platforms.
- Manages a software engineering team that builds, designs, implements and maintains front-ends and back-ends for China tech products and related services.
- Ensures their team produces high quality software and deliver results against challenging goals.
- Hires, develops and retains high performing engineers. Keeps the team engaged and manages performance of team members.
- Helps team make the right design choices. Drives adoption of engineering best practices and development processes within their team.
- Able to drive sprints for a squad given strategic or functional direction.
- Represents a squad or significant functional sub-area. Drives feature development end-to-end. Active partner with product, design, and peer engineering leads and managers. Regularly gives actionable feedback to team members, peers, and mentees.
- Contributes in code when needed and actively takes part in code reviews.
- Delivers large projects at quarterly level. Sets and drives OKRs.
- Taking the engineering lead on building a sprint execution plan. Working with the Product Owner (PO) to clearly define the scope of multiple sprints. Lead/guide the team through sprint(s) scoping, resource allocation and commitment - the execution plan.
- Making sure there is an alignment between the sprint objectives and the overall quarterly team objectives. Overviewing all activities lead by ICs within the team to align with the overall sprint(s) plan. Utilizing own team as the main resource; work with external resources as needed
- Ensure data collection and storage facilitates analysis and reporting
- Ensure on-time, on-quality delivery of applications
- You will be working closely with the Product, Design and your engineering team to help define and execute on projects
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a closely related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience managing software engineering teams (mentoring junior engineers, setting technical direction, execution etc.).
- Large systems software design and development experience, including experience in building web and native mobile applications plus backend APIs, relational database design
- Proven track record of delivering successfully within aggressive timelines.
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science.
- 7 years of relevant industry experience, with 3 years of hands-on technical leadership for cloud-based web, mobile and backend application development.
- Solid foundation in design, data structures and algorithms, and strong analytical and debugging skills with customer-facing products experience.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.