Data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our products and enabling the technology that powers them. We build and operate the platform used by the rest of the company for storage, streaming and batch computation and to train ML models. We’re building an ecosystem where consumers and producers of data can depend on each other safely. We thrive to build high quality systems we can be proud to open source and an amazing experience for our users and ourselves. We regard culture and trust highly and are looking forward to welcoming your contribution to the team.
If you’re passionate about building large scale data processing systems, and you are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team, come join us. You will jump into an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection and orchestration layers. You will help shape the vision and architecture of WeWork's next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and features. You are responsible for developing a reliable infrastructure that scales with the company’s incredible growth. Your efforts will allow accessibility to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of WeWork data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Sales, Revenue, Product, Growth and many others as well as empowering them to depend on each other reliably. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging distributed systems problems.
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, secure, and scalable data platform
- Partner with engineering leaders, business leaders, and other ICs to design and build robust services using storage layer, streaming and batch data
- Collaborate with key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Contribute to the Storage layer and API features roadmap.
- Collaborate with your team and engineering leaders to the overall engineering(design, implementation, and testing)
- Help to identify all possible use cases and needed business outcomes for dedicated areas of ownership
- Envision and help to build a self-serve data platform which teams can use to answer their own needs around data to power up WeWork’s Technology
- 3-7+ years of experience
- Experience shipping several high quality of complex software's release.
- When talking about dynamic data infrastructures - RDBMS, Columnar Databases, NoSQL and File-based storage solutions - you are not just familiar with these concepts but you must be able to show your ability to work with these type of storages. Bonus you also know these frameworks "under the hood".
- Experience with Query execution optimization (Columnar storage, push downs): Hive, Presto, Parquet, …
- Strong foundation in algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
- Troubleshooting and performance tuning skills.
- Good communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Good understanding of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms)
- When thinking about Big Data processing you are experienced with Spark, Hadoop, Storm, Flink or Apache Beam. Bonus if you know under the hood implementations on these frameworks.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Experience with either a MapReduce or a MPP system.
Experience with the following Cassandra, DynamoDB, RocksDB/LevelDB, Graphite, StatsD, CollectD
- Experience in open source development
- Data warehouse tooling
Critical Competencies for Success
- Focused on team over individual achievements.
- Building software incrementally and make consistent progress.
- You love to learn. mentor and teach others.
- Empathetic, you build long-lasting relationship characteristic of highly efficient teams.
- You keep up-to-date with the latest developments in the field.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.