Director, Data Science & Machine Learning
At WeWork Global Technology, New York
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing hundreds of thousands of members across the globe space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and craft their life's work. Our mission is to build a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
We are building software for physical space that uses data and technology at each point in the building process, such that it can make better sourcing decisions, improve its designs, build faster and smarter, and ultimately improve the lives of the people working within its buildings. Our state of the art technologies and dedication to technological innovation are key reasons why WeWork has been able to scale from operating one workspace location to more than 550 across 100 cities globally in just over eight years.
We are seeking a Director of Data Science and Machine Learning in the Central Data & Analytics (D&A) department. The group’s mission is to drive WeWork’s data strategy, empower its data & analytics community, and scale data & analytics globally while ensuring consistency and governance.
As WeWork has experienced explosive growth in members, locations, revenue, and employees over the last few years, so has its Data Science and Machine Learning (ML) community. Data Scientists and ML Engineers at WeWork perform a wide breadth of work; from analyzing space utilization via sensor data and member engagement via sentiment analysis, to optimizing our construction pipelines and developing recommendation systems.
This role will work closely with ML, Data Science, Engineering, Product, and Executive leaders across the organization. The ideal person for this role is influential, collaborative, strategic, authentic, optimistic, and transparent. They’re passionate about growing and developing the team, excited to collaborate with WeWork’s Data Science and ML community, and eager to coalesce best practices and scale efforts globally.
The role is based in our New York headquarters.
- Define the company’s data science and ML strategy in partnership with executive and functional leadership, VP Central D&A, and Data Science & ML leaders.
- Own and drive consensus on strategic data science frameworks that span multiple business lines, such as Predicted Customer Lifetime Value (LTV)
- Build and manage a team of Data Scientists and ML Engineers. Mentor and develop growth plans for those on the team.
- Build rapport and manage relationships with data science, ML, engineering, product, design, and other business stakeholders throughout the company.
- Work closely with WeWork’s Data Science, ML, and Engineering leads to drive requirements for WeWork’s ML toolkit.
- Weigh the priorities of our Business, Product, Data Science and ML leaders to inform the Central D&A Data Science roadmap.
- Promote visibility into the work of data science & ML to demonstrate the value of data-driven decision-making.
- Collaborate with product teams and business units to identify and prioritize value creation opportunities.
- 5+ years experience leading data teams, with experience managing managers
- 4+ years experience performing advanced analytics using structured and unstructured data.
- 2+ years leveraging cloud technology (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Expert understanding of methods in data science and ML.
- Deep experience with SQL and Python or R.
- Proficiency in math, statistics, economics, engineering (or sociology/psychology with strong quantitative background) or a related field.
- Experience identifying, prioritizing, and getting buy-in for data opportunities within a large, rapidly growing organization.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.