About the Role
If you’re passionate about building large scale data processing systems, and you are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team, come join us. You will jump into an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection and orchestration layers. You will help shape the vision and architecture of WeWork's next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and features. You are responsible for developing a reliable infrastructure that scales with the company’s incredible growth. Your efforts will allow accessibility to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of WeWork data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Sales, Revenue, Product, Growth and many others as well as empowering them to depend on each other reliably. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging distributed systems problems.
About the Team
Data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our products and enabling the technology that powers them. We build and operate the platform used by the rest of the company for streaming and batch computation and to train ML models. We’re building an ecosystem where consumers and producers of data can depend on each other safely. We thrive to build high quality systems we can be proud to open source and an amazing experience for our users and ourselves. We regard culture and trust highly and are looking forward to welcoming your contribution to the team.
- Build and operate high-performance, fault-tolerant, secure, and scalable data platform in production
- Lead development of products, services and capabilities of the platform in a continuous delivery environment
- Partner with architects, customers and business leaders to design and build robust services
- Think through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Drive code quality by writing unit tests, functional tests, and performance tests
- Break down requirements, estimate the tasks and plan development work accurately and to deliver quality products on-time
- Take on important engineering, scaling and performance issues
- Discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development and platform efficiency
- Build self-service platforms to power WeWork’s Technology
- 5+ years of industry experience in data platform or related technologies
- Experience in writing production quality code in Java / Python / Scala
- Strong system-level design, architecture and troubleshooting skills
- Experience building distributed platforms that handle high volume of data or transactions
- Familiar with modern data technologies. Experience in stream processing or Machine Learning technologies a plus
- You have a strong foundation in algorithms, data structures, and their real-world use cases.
- You have a strong knowledge of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms)
- Strong experience, with “under the hood” knowledge on one or more of the following technologies:
- Event streaming systems: Kafka, Pulsar, Kinesis, …
- Big data processing: Spark, Hadoop, Flink, Beam, …
- IDL: Avro, Protobuf or Thrift
- Workflow management: Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, ...
- Cloud storage: S3, GCS, …
- Big query engines: Redshift, Presto, Druid, …
- Eager to learn new things and take initiatives
- BS degree in Computer Science or closely related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with contributing to open source software
- Experience in container technologies such as Docker
- Experience with developing microservices
WeWork Technology is bridging the gap between physical and digital platforms, providing a delightful, flawless & powerful experience for members and employees. We build software and hardware that enables our members to connect with each other and the space around them like never before.
We augment our community and culture teams through the tools we build. We believe there’s a macro shift toward a new way of working—one focused on a movement towards meaning and purpose. WeWork Technology is proud to be shaping this movement.
We are a team of passionate, fearless and collaborative problem-solvers distributed globally with one goal in mind - to humanize technology across the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.