WeWork’s Pacific Building Operations Team is currently in search of a Regional Health & Safety Director who is proficient and highly experienced in multi-site Health and Safety management frameworks with a people focused, holistic and innovative risk management mindset.
As the Director of Health and Safety, you will provide WeWork with strategic leadership for all Health and Safety matters and lead on the implementation Global Health and Safety initiatives in the Pacific region (SEA, S. Korea and Australia). You will be an ambassador of Health and Safety responding to our business’ unique challenges with an approach that balances an uncompromised search for Health and Safety excellence with a commercial and innovative approach.
You will work alongside and influence other business leaders (operations, people risk, legal, construction, design, logistics, etc) to ensure a world class Health and Safety culture is present in all of the company’s activities, locations and decisions.
Externally, you will be interfacing with external consultancies as well as governmental agencies to determine applicable local standards and reporting requirements.
Head of Building Operations (Pacific)
- Be the subject matter expert for Health and Safety, driving and facilitating H&S corporate governance through the business.
- Provide the business with strategic leadership for Health and Safety, ensuring that Health and Safety is taken into account in all areas of the business via persuasion and influencing at all levels within the organisation.
- Create innovative, straightforward and scalable Health and Safety management frameworks that deliver Health and Safety excellence and compliance across the Region, taking into account cultural differences, regulatory requirements, society expectations and global WeWork standards.
- Work closely with the Global Health & Safety Director to ensure Global Health and Safety standards and initiatives are absorbed and implemented in the Regional business operations.
- Guide and empower Territory Health and Safety Managers to ensure that Health and Safety frameworks are fully implemented, legally compliant and successful on the delivery of their desired outcomes in all Territories.
- Work closely with the Facilities Teams to ensure robust facilities maintenance regimes are in place to adequately control risks such as fire, legionella, electricity, lifts etc.
- Work closely with the People and Community Experience Teams to design and drive mental health and wellness programmes.
- Work closely with the Development Team to ensure that the construction and design of our buildings is done in a safe manner, factoring Health and Safety matters into the design of the building.
- Work closely with Regional Building Operations Directors and Regional Security Directors to provide insight and guidance on Health and Safety matters
- Promote other cross functional initiatives that foster a world class Health and Safety culture and standards.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of Health and Safety training programs that empower our Community Teams to become Health and Safety and emergency leaders. (Including but not limited to Occupational H&S, Fire Safety and First Aid)
- Implement robust and mature monitoring, auditing and reporting processes on Health and Safety performance, training and compliance. (Including but not limited to accident analysis, training completion, regulatory enforcement and H&S auditing).
- In collaboration with the Security Team, develop and maintain WeWork’s Emergency planning, preparedness and management (Emergency Action Plans).
- Execute a thorough H&S due diligence process when entering new markets, coordinating readiness plans and advising the business on residual risk.
- Oversee the H&S incident reporting systems, detecting trends and ensuring that thorough investigations take place when required.
- Establish relationships (when applicable) with third party vendors and develop and review and set large scale regional contracts to support our service and project needs.
- Manage and be accountable of a health and safety budget.
- 10+ years practical experience in the creation, implementation and monitoring of Health and Safety management systems.
- 5+ years of personnel management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area.
- Masters degree or Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Certificate in OHSAS 18001 and/or ISO 45001.
Skills and Expertise
- Strong experience of Health and Safety governance, risk management and reporting.
- Ability to initiate and maintain extensive contacts with professionals and officials of other organizations and companies.
- Ability to inspire and engage as part of behavioural based safety initiatives.
- Experience in change management.
- Strong influencing skills at all levels.
- Strong time management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability and experience to develop and implement training material.
- Experience managing large scale projects with multiple deadlines and stakeholders.
- Financial accountability and skills
- Innovation (expected to find innovative ways to drive the health and safety culture across the Region)
- Technology (will be expected to embrace/implement the latest tech systems to help support the health and safety function)
- Proficient in the following programs: all things Google, MS Office, Slack....
- Experience in Crisis and Business Continuity Management Plans.
- Experience creating or managing food safety (HACCP - Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points).
The successful applicant will:
- Be a self-starter - WeWork’s culture is a creative and dynamic one.
- Live and breathe WeWork’s company values
- Be innovative and creative by nature.
- Be a confident public speaker able to influence senior executives and stakeholders.
- Must be able to communicate and set clear expectations, ranging from the management of outsourced contractors up to board level.
- Demonstrate a high-level of attention to detail.
- Be able to multitask across multiple platforms, departments, time zones, and cultures when necessary.
- Be able to liaise with external safety organizations in a professional manner.
- Maintain the highest professional standards within the WeWork message and concept.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have the ability to work on their own and using their initiative.
- Have the ability to influence people at all levels of the organization.
- Have an innovative approach to problem solving.
- Available to travel as per business requirements.
- May require out of hours and weekend work.