Westbrook is a mission-driven company formed to empower artists to tell stories that connect the world. At Westbrook Inc., we provide strategic, financial, legal, and other back-end support to our existing subsidiary companies (Westbrook Studios, Westbrook Media, Good Goods, Red Table Talk Productions, Inc., and Westbrook International), develop new business opportunities, and share our learnings, skills, and tools with new talent creating art and media across all major platforms. With Westbrook’s reach, expertise, and resources, we are poised to be a leader in the global, multiplatform content marketplace.
Westbrook Studios’ scripted television department is hiring a qualified SVP, Development focused on the development of new scripted series and pilots. The ideal candidate will have extensive development and production experience with strong talent and producer relationships; they possess executive polish and professionalism in agile, fast-paced work environments.
What You’ll Do
- Implement the creative strategy the Head of Television defines to cultivate unique, compelling and brand-appropriate scripted series.
- Full ownership of the development processes, including tracking, soliciting, evaluating, procuring, developing, and overseeing the production of scripted programming from pitch to pilot, including but not limited to:
- Hearing & vetting pitches
- Reading and giving notes on stories, outlines, and scripts
- Participating in hiring key cast and crew
- Participating in critical, creative decisions regarding physical production
- Visiting sets for pilot shoots when needed to protect network interests
- Watching cuts and giving notes
- Staffing writers for series
- Lead and oversee the development teams consisting of literary analysts, writers, head writers, advisors, etc.
- Manage the green light process in connection with the development committee, operations, and finance.
- Partner with Studios Executives, Writers, and Head Writers from the development phase and throughout the entire lifecycle of production to adapt and edit stories according to the development strategy.
- Monitor the quality of each project production to provide creative guidance
- Coordinate studio viewings and other special events that showcase projects in development according to the business's long-term plan.
- Coordinate and manage the first episodes' content distribution and media management to other internal business units.
- Participate in leadership meetings related to developing and programming Westbrook’s network and other internal businesses.
Who You Are
- Minimum 10 years of experience developing and producing scripted television content.
- Minimum 6 years of supervisory/leadership experience.
- Track record developing commercially successful and critically acclaimed series.
- Strong working knowledge of the entertainment business and creative aspects of development and production.
- Strong relationships within the creative community – executives, agents, writers, producers, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning and project execution.
- Proven ability to multi-task and work on several series and pilots simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to influence, constructively challenge, and forge collaborative relationships with senior executives, peers, and creative partners within a fast-paced, deadline-driven, innovative, highly energetic, and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
The Successful Candidate Is
- An entrepreneur. You get excited about building processes and procedures from the ground up and don’t need much aid to get the job done.
- A leader. You know how to inspire and motivate under your guidance while empowering learning and development.
- A problem solver. You know how to skillfully engage in an analytical process to achieve the best possible solution; you’re not easily frustrated by obstacles - instead, they energize you.
- Direct and concise. You communicate effectively and with a situation-appropriate tone, whether over the phone, in person, via e-mail, memos, or presentations.
- Kind. You treat others with respect regardless of circumstances; you are skilled at connecting with people and building interpersonal relationships.
- Passionate. You are a creative spirit and storyteller excited by this business and how to expand it.
Westbrook is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Westbrook believes that diversity and inclusion among our colleagues are critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.