As the Design Manager, you will lead a multi-disciplinary team of Designers and UX Writers to create products that are simple, intuitive, and well-crafted. This role will report to the Head of Product as part of the Product organization.
In a typical week, you’ll give and receive feedback in design and content critiques, put your IC hat on as-needed, coach your team through challenges, and partner with your peers in Product and Engineering to deliver a great product.
Our ideal candidate has experience in imagining and designing for enterprise and B2B products, an uncanny sense for clean design, is a fierce advocate for the user, and is committed to creating intuitive user experiences from otherwise complex workflows. You also take the time to understand not just the execution side of design, but the business aspects of the products and company as well.
This position requires a proven track record of leading product design teams as well as working hands on to design products from inception to launch. You should have a strong foundation in design process and design strategy to further grow and refine Design as a discipline at Welkin.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Lead, manage, and coach the Design and UX Writing team.
- Lead the design process for your team—from problem definition to design implementation. Demonstrate thought leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of content design, storytelling, interaction design, visual design, and user research
- Partner with Product, Engineering, and Marketing to ensure projects are well-defined, high impact, and successfully executed to enable the best experience outcome based on business goals and user research. Understands technical constraints and can articulate ideas to PM and Engineering.
- Guide products towards solutions that are unquestionably simple, intuitive, and “just work” for our users.
- Develop user experience design concepts, wireframes, mockups, prototypes, usage scenarios, task analysis, specifications, and other UX design deliverables for Welkin cross team initiatives
- Define and conduct user research to understand user needs and validate and iterate on solutions.
- Champion for user experience design throughout the organization and contributes to making it an essential process for improvement and innovation.
- Ensure that visual design are consistent with Welkin style and brand guidelines.
What you'll work on in your first 3-6 months:
- Become an expert on Welkin’s product and platform
- Deeply understand our user personas
- Champion user experience design throughout the organization and contribute to making it an essential process for improvement and innovation.
- Manage and develop your team. This requires setting clear goals, handling project loads, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to see your teams’ projects through to completion
Here’s what you need to be successful:
- 5+ years working in a SaaS based company
- 2+ years experience managing other designers (bonus if multidisciplinary)
- An exceptional designer who's able to inspire designers and writers, lead them to deliver their best work while having fun at the same time
- Exceptional collaborator with product management, engineering, and marketing. Driven to move fast, be decisive and deliver world-class user experiences.
- Excellent communication skills in a fast-paced environment (verbal, written, and visual) who has the ability to influence and build consensus
- Highly organized and driven to lead your team to get the work done, Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development.
- Deep knowledge designing for responsive web experiences; well versed in user interface design processes and methodology, including user-centered design.
- Exceptional ability to design high-fidelity mockups and prototypes, and iterate on user interface design and interaction flow of applications and experiences based on user feedback.
- Thought leader on user experience design issues and topics, tireless advocate of the customer, influence on project vision and implementation, advisory role for cross-functional teams and groups.
- Strong ability to inspire, develop, and coach team members.
- Nice-to-Have Skills: Experience designing for a healthcare or health technology
Welkin is patient management software, which guides your team to better care. We configure your patient program into workflows that tell health workers when to do what, ensuring patients get care exactly when they need it.
Designed specifically for relationships between health care professionals and patients, our software makes engagement seamless and patient-centered, enabling health workers to build strong relationships for long-term healthy outcomes.
Our mission is to empower health organizations to deliver patient-centered care.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage.
- Option to contribute to your retirement via a 401k.
- Take the time off that you need to relax and have fun with Welkin’s flexible PTO policy. Employee’s tend to take anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks of vacation, with an average of 3-4 weeks.
- Taking a dance class? Have a membership at Mission Cliffs? Great! Welkin Health will reimburse you $100 every month towards your personal wellness.
- Welkin Health will reimburse you $100 every month towards your commute. This includes BART, Muni, bike maintenance, etc.
- You can contribute pre-tax dollars to medical, dental, vision and dependent care expenses through FSA/DCFSA.
- Generous parental leave policy for all parents, no matter gender identity or birth manner.
- Catered breakfast once per week and catered lunch twice per week and a communal kitchen with generous snack options and cold brew and kombucha on tap.
We want you to know:
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.