About the role:
Welkin Health is growing quickly and thoughtfully and we’d love to have you on-board as we scale out our engineering organization! We’re looking for a hands-on leader, who has a great balance of both technical leadership skills and a thoughtful approach towards the personal and professional health of their entire team. This is a high impact position, you’ll play a key role in helping to define the organizational evolution of Welkin’s fledgling professional services engineering group.
The management team at Welkin Health is committed to:
- Sharing information whenever possible
- Caring personally about our teammates
- Empowering our teams
- Giving and requesting feedback often
- Leading from humility
If these core behaviors resonate with you and you’re excited to help us with our mission to empower health organizations to deliver patient-centered care, we’d love to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Lead by example technically. Your role will include making meaningful contributions to our codebase, especially in your first few months, which will give you the perspective to help guide team process development. In this position, your role can evolve into one that involves minimal coding or a fair amount of it depending on your interests.
- Guide professional services projects such as product customizations, data analysis, integrations with external systems, and the implementation of clinical protocol changes for a portfolio of Welkin’s customers.
- Influence the product roadmap by providing high-quality feedback to Welkin’s platform engineers and PMs about customer pain points and areas for improvement to existing product APIs and capabilities.
- Work cross-functionally with Account Managers, Solutions Architects, Product Managers, and other Engineering Managers to ensure that our customers feel supported and that their needs are met in a timely manner.
- Positively contribute to the professional and personal growth of your team by developing a strong understanding of their strengths, helping them improve on their areas of weaknesses, and providing clear, concise, and frequent feedback. You will be both a technical mentor and a career coach for your team.
- Assist with the growth of the engineering org, especially your own team, by playing a key role in hiring and recruiting of new technical talent.
- Ensure team members’ work streams are based on the right combination of the team’s direction and each individual’s preferences.
- Hold team members to a high technical and cultural bar.
What you'll work on in your first 3-6 months:
- Build domain knowledge and credibility by spending the first 1-2 months doing exclusively IC programming work before taking on reports. You’ll do a few projects related to the development of our customer configurations and customer-specific functionality, similar to what your reports will be doing. We believe in a hands-on approach to technical management and expect all new managers to do some IC work when they first join to learn the lay of the land.
- The primary goal of this role early on would be getting our new Professional Services Engineer team up and running. This is a new team for us and we are learning to operate it effectively. Your charter will be to rapidly and continuously iterate on processes to get the team running smoothly. We expect this will require a high volume of team process design work, at least initially.
- Build effective, collaborative working relationships with your new reports and peers.
- Contribute to organizational hiring. Between approximately 6 and 12 months, start growing your team with additional members.
Here’s what you need to be successful:
- Solid technical skills; at least 8 years of professional experience as a software engineer, engineering manager, or some combination of the two. You’ll be putting these technical skills to work, especially over the first few months.
- Ability to balance high customer expectations and tight timelines with the team’s resources and capabilities. Excellent communication skills with internal and external stakeholders around progress, timelines, and general expectation-setting.
- A strong level of empathy and care in your approach to your relationships with your teammates and reports.
- Enthusiasm around growing the team through recruiting efforts: sourcing, referrals, interviewing.
- Ability to delegate effectively, prioritize work, empower your team, and lead by example.
- An openness to giving and receiving feedback.
- Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Passion for building a product that is doing social good, innovative spirit, and ability to work in a flexible and fast paced environment.
Welkin is patient management software, which guides your team to better care. We configure your patient program into workflows that tell health workers when to do what, ensuring patients get care exactly when they need it.
Designed specifically for relationships between health care professionals and patients, our software makes engagement seamless and patient-centered, enabling health workers to build strong relationships for long-term healthy outcomes.
Our mission is to empower health organizations to deliver patient-centered care.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage.
- Option to contribute to your retirement via a 401k.
- Take the time off that you need to relax and have fun with Welkin’s flexible PTO policy. Employee’s tend to take anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks of vacation, with an average of 3-4 weeks.
- Taking a dance class? Have a membership at Mission Cliffs? Great! Welkin Health will reimburse you $100 every month towards your personal wellness.
- Welkin Health will reimburse you $100 every month towards your commute. This includes BART, Muni, bike maintenance, etc.
- You can contribute pre-tax dollars to medical, dental, vision and dependent care expenses through FSA/DCFSA.
- Generous parental leave policy for all parents, no matter gender identity or birth manner.
- Catered breakfast once per week and catered lunch twice per week and a communal kitchen with generous snack options and cold brew and kombucha on tap.
We want you to know:
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.