At WelbeHealth, our vision is a world where every human being participates in our culture through their final days. To make this vision a reality, we provide integrated medical and social services to our most vulnerable seniors, helping to unlock their full potential. We are looking for team members who are energized by working in diverse teams toward our shared purpose, who are eager to drive groundbreaking innovation, and who will interact with those we serve and those who serve them in a spirit of understanding and compassion.
We operate a PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) program in Pasadena, CA. The PACE program serves as our patients’ health insurer and directly provides comprehensive primary care and social services to keep them living safely in the community. Reporting to the Center Director, the Kitchen Assistant receives vendor-prepared food and readies it for participant meal service and ensuring the temperatures of cooling and warming equipment are recorded as directed, and the kitchen area remains clean and sanitary at all times.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Assist the Registered Dietitian in provision of safe, therapeutic nutrition services that meet the diverse needs of Pacific PACE participants:
- Receive vendor- prepared food and store properly to maintain acceptable temperature prior to meal service.
- Measure and record temperatures of the food on delivery and at regular intervals, prior to serving, assuring that food remains safe for serving and within ranges indicated in Pacific PACE P&Ps.
- Plate the food for meal service, following instructions on participants’ ‘dietary cards’ for diets, preferences and special needs.
- Prepare alternate, pre-determined menu items as needed,
- Prepare snacks for activities as requested.
- Complete huddle (10 min meeting) with other PCA's twice per day, at 9 am and 2pm to review lunch service, discuss diet changes, participant concerns and dietary concerns.
- Review menu, dietary spreads and other information related to daily menu to ensure compliance with menu, diets and meal service in general
- Organize participants’ ‘dietary cards’ for the day's lunch service, update them as needed.
- Complete EOC rounds as required (Environment of Care checklist) -- checking for things that are required by law and that relate to dining standards that you develop.
- Provide direction to PCAs for dining service, such as table assignments, tasks related to meal service, etc.
- Provide oversight in dining room service, assist with serving meals and check in with participants as to satisfaction with meal
- Keep log of meal service, sharing with clinic or RD as needed.
- Review the “% Percent of meal Eaten" logs after lunch and share as needed with appropriate staff (i.e. RD, RN/Clinic) for individual participant diet concerns.
- Develop meal count on regular basis and communicate such count with food vendor. Communicate with food vendor on regular basis to update, correct and adjust meal count and special diet needs.
- Check and calibrate kitchen thermometers regularly.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent required.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- ServSafe certification preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) / First Aid Certification required.
- Minimum of one-year experience in food service or preparation, working with a
frail or elderly population.
- Ability to follow directions from supervisor and communicate needs effectively.
- Experience and competency working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Deep commitment to helping unlock the potential of our most vulnerable seniors.
We believe that unlocking the full potential of our most vulnerable seniors requires a diverse team with a variety of perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and individuals seeking employment at WelbeHealth are considered without regard for race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.