Weiss Asset Management, a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking an analyst who will work in the M&A and Event-Driven strategy covering Special Situations with corporate actions (e.g. M&A, spinoffs, divestitures, value investments after breaks, and other event driven trades) and report directly to the Team lead of M&A/Special Situations. A successful candidate will have strong analytical, Excel modeling skills, a long-held passion for investing (ideally in Events) and the ability to communicate ideas and information effectively. He/she has a minimum of 1-4 years of relevant work experience with a demonstrated record of success, which may include investment banking, sell-side research, and/or buy-side experience in public equities at leading firms. Experience following Event-Driven situations is not strictly required, but relevant skills and prior experience will be taken into consideration.
- Conduct creative fundamental catalyst-focused research, focused on deep, differentiated, and original research
- Demonstrate the ability to engage with direct contact with IR, company management teams, and industry sources. Improve network and relationships across the space
- Engage with brokers monitor efficiently and perceive changes in investor sentiment. Develop relationships with sell-side analysts to stay current on consensus view.
- Effectively communicate opinions, new information and market developments to portfolio manager/strategy lead and other analysts.
- Build and maintain relevant valuation models, spreadsheets and databases, and make changes to those models as appropriate.
Ideally, the candidate has:
- The capability to conduct in depth studies and statistical analysis
- Experience legal or Economic Antitrust training or practice
- Investment banking experience in M&A
- A quantitative mind and the ability to code effectively
About the company:
Weiss Asset Management is a Boston-based investment firm whose hedge funds and institutional accounts invest approximately $2 billion globally. For over 25 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge academic and industry research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.