The Weiss Asset Management Group (WAM) is seeking candidates with prior research experience to join its San Francisco member firm, Fundamental Research Associates Inc. (FRA). The Research Analyst will focus on fundamental analysis and will work directly with investment professionals to conduct qualitative and quantitative diligence on specific situations and broad strategies. A successful candidate will be resourceful, pragmatic, and highly motivated. He or she will be an independent thinker who is able to clearly communicate results to a broader team. A demonstrated interest in finance is preferred, but not required. The Research Analyst is an entry-level role, but high performing Research Analysts can expect to take on increasing responsibility on the investment team over time.
A successful Research Analyst will independently use all available resources to achieve the following, with an emphasis on implementing long-term research process improvements:
- Source, read, and highlight economically significant portions of primary and secondary source documents for use in investment analysis
- Creatively identify relevant industry participants, such as research analysts and company management; conduct primary due diligence by contacting industry participants and connect promising leads to the investment team
- Quantitatively analyze financial data
- Investigate trends and investments of competitors in the hedge fund space
- Manage projects with multiple business sponsors across strategies, including long-term research projects
- Manage existing business service and research subscriptions and research new alternatives
- Facilitate the documentation of investment processes and investment team training needs
Location: San Francisco, CA
About the company:
The Weiss Asset Management Group is based in Boston and manages hedge funds and institutional accounts globally with about $2 billion of assets under management. FRA is WAM’s fully integrated California member firm, which employs investment and administrative staff in its offices in downtown San Francisco. For over 25 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge academic and industry research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
How to apply:
Please include the following materials in your application:
- An updated resume including your cumulative GPA from each of your degree programs and standardized test scores (SAT, ACT, GRE, etc.) broken down by subject area
WAM is an equal opportunity employer.