The Hedge Fund Accountant will join the Weiss Asset Management (WAM) dynamic accounting team and become an expert in the diverse business challenges of a global hedge fund. The team is comprised of creative problem-solvers and self-starters with strong quantitative abilities who have the proven ability to produce results. A successful candidate will have at least one year of accounting industry experience and will pair a rigorous work ethic with a desire to work closely with a team. CPA designation and experience in hedge fund accounting, audit, or tax are preferred but not required. Accountants at Weiss make use of strong analytical skills to identify risks and propose solutions that will positively impact the company’s long-term growth and success.
- Responsible for the accounting function for our two flagship hedge funds, one special situation fund, and U.K. listed closed-end fund.
- Working with administrator to complete monthly/quarterly NAV process.
- Portfolio valuation and Valuation Committee reporting.
- Working with external auditors to assist in the completion of the annual audits of the funds.
- Building a knowledge base of the differing accounting, legal, trading, and operational implications of investing in a wide variety of financial instruments and markets.
- Responsibilities may eventually grow to include management company accounting, as well.
About the company:
Weiss Asset Management is a Boston-based investment firm whose hedge funds and institutional accounts invest approximately $2.7 billion globally. For 30 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that our co-president and the majority of our managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact and data, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.