Weiss Asset Management, a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking a London-based Analyst to work closely with its global investment team in the search for actionable investment opportunities in UK investment companies and UK/European equities. Successful candidates are highly-intelligent, resourceful, entrepreneurial, and willing to work hard to find answers to unsolved problems.
- Boston for first 3-6 months, then London afterwards
- Note that WAM does not currently have an office in London and is looking to open one after hiring
A successful Analyst will have the opportunity to do the following in the first two years:
- Originate investment ideas and conduct in-depth diligence on UK-listed investment companies and UK/EU equities.
- Build and maintain relationships with companies, sell side counterparties, and other investors; travel and attend industry conferences
- Focus on generating alpha through focus on proprietary and differentiated primary research
- Work collaboratively and assist the broader investing team with investments that require fundamental research
- Development and build new approaches to investing
- May also work on event driven, credit, and distressed
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree or equivalent experience
- Prior experience with equity research and fundamental investing is preferred
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills, with strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Independent thinker, team-first mentality, and a passion for continuous learning and investing
About the Company:
For more than 25 years, Weiss Asset Management has developed proprietary value-based investment strategies designed to deliver high risk-adjusted returns to our investors, who include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. We manage approximately $2 billion across hedge funds and institutional accounts. We work collaboratively to solve problems, and to identify undervalued assets through deep fundamental research, statistical analysis and an analytically rigorous approach to decision making.
We value integrity, intellectual honesty, continuous learning and improvement. We foster creativity and entrepreneurialism. We have an uncompromising commitment to rationality, and we believe that by understanding our mistakes, we make progress. Our culture is more important than any individual and more persistent than any strategy.
Our team of over 65 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer.