Weiss Asset Management, a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking fluent Korean speakers from all academic backgrounds to join us as Research Analysts (RA), who will work directly with investment professionals to conduct qualitative and quantitative diligence on specific situations and broad strategies. RAs will also develop firm-wide research practices, processes, and capabilities. Finance or other work experience is not required, but relevant skills and prior experience will be taken into consideration. The candidate must be fluent in both Korean and English. Ability to work overnight during Korean market hours is a plus, but not required.
A successful Korean Research Analyst will creatively and independently use all available resources to achieve the following, with an emphasis on clearly documenting and communicating results and implementing long-term research process improvements:
- Source, read, highlight, and translate economically significant portions of primary source documents for use in investment analysis,
- Quantitatively analyze financial data
- Investigate trends and investments of competitors in the hedge fund space
- Creatively identify relevant industry participants, such as research analysts and company management; conduct primary due diligence by contacting industry participants and connect promising leads to the investment team
- Manage projects with multiple business sponsors across strategies, including long-term research projects
- Manage existing business service and research subscriptions and research new alternatives
- Facilitate the documentation of investment processes and investment team training needs
About the Company:
For more than 25 years, Weiss Asset Management has developed proprietary value-based investment strategies designed to deliver high risk-adjusted returns to our investors, who include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. We manage approximately $2 billion across hedge funds and institutional accounts. We work collaboratively to solve problems, and to identify undervalued assets through deep fundamental research, statistical analysis and an analytically rigorous approach to decision making.
We value integrity, intellectual honesty, continuous learning and improvement. We foster creativity and entrepreneurialism. We have an uncompromising commitment to rationality, and we believe that by understanding our mistakes, we make progress. Our culture is more important than any individual and more persistent than any strategy.
Our team of over 65 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.