Director, Product Design (Hybrid - 2 to 3 days per week onsite in Irvine, CA)
As the Director of Product Design at Weedmaps, you will be leading and overseeing the end-to-end product design and user experience for both our B2C and B2B products. You will also continue to build, manage, coach and scale a team of high-performing designers while collaborating cross-departmentally with Product, Engineering, and Marketing leadership to plan and iterate on a variety of new and existing features and products. In this role, you will be responsible for driving best practices in design strategy, user research, user testing and empirically based design to scale our suite of products. You have experience shipping and rapidly iterating on products and know what it takes to get something from idea to reality.
The impact you'll make:
- Ensure best in class experiences across all of our products and features and ensure teams are delivering high-quality
- product design work.
- Define UX vision and strategy, generating buy-in and operationalizing the strategy across multiple teams and timelines.
- Develop and maintain expertise in understanding the interconnectedness of the Weedmaps product suite and how all the
- parts fit together.
- Partner closely with engineering and product to identify solutions to design challenges.
- Raise the bar for product quality across our products by advocating for user-centered product roadmaps, investments in last-mile refinement and polish, and insights driven by user research.
- Iteratively improve products based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Clearly communicate design decisions to stakeholders across departments.
- Balance long-term and short-term perspectives throughout the continuous release process while iterating toward a future vision.
- Drive the design team to combine user behavioral and product data with design optimization and flow revision to create better product experiences.
- Define and encourage standards and best practices while monitoring processes for creating and presenting design deliverables.
- Provide direction and growth to the design team by reviewing design progress and providing constructive feedback to drive creative execution.
- Lead and workshop design thinking exercises to further develop designers and push for creative growth and industry knowledge
- Actively participate in the recruiting process and assess new talent to help build a world-class product and design team.
What you've accomplished:
- Minimum of 10 years experience working in product design and have shipped several products and features.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience managing a design team.
- A portfolio of meaningful product design work (from UX design to visual design) that showcases your ability to ship successful products.
- Proven ability to translate qualitative and quantitative insights into a clear direction that guides the team in creating the right experience.
- Proven track record devising product vision and strategy and designing high-quality products (web and mobile) in collaboration with product management and engineering partners.
- Ability to manage, mentor & elevate a team of product designers and help teams navigate ambiguity to find clarity.
- Experience shipping enterprise B2C and/or B2B products and features.
- Experience working with e-commerce and enterprise software products for business.
- Ability to identify and select what patterns to use when and where so the user experience is seamless and can achieve the goals it was meant to.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in Figma, and extensive experience in program management tools such as Confluence and Jira.
- Experience and passion for affecting culture change.
- Passionate/positive about the weed culture and movement
- Experience working in the weed tech industry
The base pay range for this position is $201,000.00 - $218,000.00
2023 Benefits for Full Time, Regular Employees:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day 1):
- Employee - employer paid premium 100%
- For plans that offer coverage to your dependents, you pay a small contribution
- Basic Life & AD&D - employer paid 1x salary up to $250,000
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Family planning/fertility - including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings - including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- You get an opportunity to shape the future of the cannabis industry
- You get to play a meaningful role that impacts the wellbeing of others
- Casual work environment, no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Numerous opportunities to learn and grow your professional skills
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with other Weedmappers through speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights, and much more!
Weedmaps is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. The Company prohibits unlawful discrimination against employees or applicants based on race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion and religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, military status, veteran status, uniformed service member status, sexual orientation, transgender identity, citizenship status, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants are entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state/local laws, unless the accommodation presents undue hardship. Please email us at peopleoperations at weedmaps.com if you would like to confidentially discuss a potential accommodation during the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: email@example.com
- INCORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants in order to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
- Weedmaps Careers Page or LinkedIn
If you are unsure if a communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance and we appreciate your interest in working with us!