Director of Accounting
Weedmaps is seeking a Director of Accounting to help lead the company's accounting function. The Director of Accounting will report directly to the VP, Controller, and support management by providing accurate and timely information for operational and strategic decision-making and compliance with external reporting obligations.
The impact you’ll make:
- Responsible for overseeing the daily accounting activities of the company, including general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Oversee month-end and quarter-end close process, including journal entries, account reconciliations, flux analysis, and financial statement preparation to ensure accounts are timely and accurately reconciled, reported, and in accordance with US GAAP.
- Responsible for managing the company’s cash position, reviewing the weekly cash analysis and payment list.
- Manage the preparation of monthly executive financial reporting packages.
- Assist with reviewing the quarterly and annual SEC filings of the company.
- Coordinate with internal auditors to design, implement, and perform testing of internal controls for SOX compliance.
- Assist in preparing and coordinating audits and reviews by external auditors.
- Support compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements and tax filings.
- Ensure compliant operational procedures and processes that meet audit and SOX standards and improve reporting and company efficiency.
- Assist with process improvement and automation across all areas of accounting and finance.
- Identify cost savings, and mitigate risks and opportunities throughout the close processes.
- Assist with reviewing the Company’s employee stock plans.
- Perform and document technical accounting research.
- Assist leadership in leading, directing, and organizing the work of the accounting & finance team.
- Manage and provide training and mentorship to staff to promote advancement and achievement of company goals.
- Lead and assist with special projects.
What you’ve accomplished:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
- CPA preferred.
- 8+ years of accounting experience with increasing levels of responsibility with experience overseeing the accounting function.
- 3+ years of public accounting experience.
- Accounting experience with a publicly traded company.
- Strong analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, policies, and procedures for financial record keeping and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience working with ERP systems.
- Experience with ERP system implementation preferred.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to initiate ideas and implement new processes.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills to work in a fast-paced environment and the ability to prioritize workload.
Our 2022 Benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee - employer paid premium 100%
- Dependent - employer paid premium 80%
- HMO - Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA - Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D - employer paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility), including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- BenefitEd (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings), including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit,d Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office
- Casual work environment, no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with your Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights, and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: email@example.com
- INCORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants in order to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
If you are unsure if the communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com, and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance; we appreciate your interest in working with us!