Associate General Counsel, Corporate
Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel, Corporate to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll lead our corporate legal function and focus your efforts on a wide array of corporate legal matters, including securities, corporate governance, acquisitions, investments, and commercial transactions. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The impact you'll make:
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Weedmaps business leaders on corporate finance and securities law matters, including compliance with obligations under federal securities laws and Nasdaq rules and regulations, such as preparation and filing of Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements and other filings.
- Lead mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions, including by proposing and implementing appropriate transaction structures and drafting term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Manage corporate governance and administration for Weedmaps and its domestic and foreign subsidiaries, including preparing Board of Director materials and corporate resolutions, facilitating the annual stockholder meeting process and overseeing local filings and administration of corporate records.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements, document templates and policies, including regarding insider trading, related party transactions, Regulation FD, and related matters.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
What you've accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 10+ years of experience practicing corporate or transactional law.
- Experience advising clients on matters relating to public company reporting and compliance, capital market transactions, and corporate governance matters.
- 6+ years of corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, or securities experience working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee teams of lawyers and paralegals, and outside counsel.
- Passion for startups and technology.
Our 2022 Benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee - employer paid premium 100%
- Dependent - employer paid premium 80%
- HMO - Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA - Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D - employer paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office and curated snack boxes delivered to your door when working at home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with your fellow Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.