Director of Government Relations
The Director of Government Relations will focus on various strategic initiatives in their designated regions reporting directly to the VP, Government Relations. The role will require a strong relationship with various stakeholders and trade groups both within and outside of the industry. The position will be responsible for lobbying state legislators and governors’ offices and communicating company positions to other officials and regulators. Ideally, this person will have a large rolodex of contacts to leverage as well as the discipline required to work autonomously, and will have experience in performing government relations and advocacy services in multiple states.
West Coast – Irvine, CA Office or Sacramento, CA
The impact you'll make:
- Developing and executing government relations strategies and action plans based on business and regional objectives
- Meeting with as well as cultivating and maintaining relationships with the Governor’s office, State legislators, departments and agencies, key local governments and industry and non-industry trade groups.
- Tracking legislative and regulatory activity and engaging policy makers on Weedmaps priorities on both tracks, and coordinating government engagement strategies with Weedmaps Vice President of Government Relations, Weedmaps contract advocacy teams and other industry participants and industry and non-industry trade groups, as well as Weedmaps’ Public Affairs team.
- Working with Weedmaps Government Relations team to develop written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives.
- Support the Vice President of Government Relations with various initiatives including:
- Tracking of state and local legislation, to include intelligence on emerging legislation
- Coordinating with industry and non-coalition partners
- Drafting factsheets, policy papers and legislation
- Steering all campaign initiatives in your region and coordinating campaigns with Vice President of Government Relations
- Organizing data to support Weedmaps state and local initiatives
- Manage, mentor and provide professional development for direct reports to ensure high engagement; facilitated learning; clear expectations; and structured, prioritized work
- Represent Weedmaps in Western state and local government meetings
- Make internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the company
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with legislators, regulators, other policymakers and their staff; travel as needed for meetings with officials
- Maintain coalitions and target grassroots capabilities
- Consult with Weedmaps’ senior leadership to inform and support business planning processes and proactively raise and address issues of concern
- Develop and carry out strategies to influence trade associations and other advocacy organizations
- Set and meet measurable objectives and departmental KPI’s/OKR’s
- Support Cultivation and Dispensary managers' relationships with state and local elected officials.
- Complete all projects and/or tasks as assigned
What you've accomplished:
- BA/BS in a related field required
- Minimum of 8-10 years of related experience
- At least 5 years of legislative, regulatory and political advocacy experience
- At least 3-5 years previous management experience
- Exceptional relationships and fundamental understanding of politics and state and local legislative process, especially in their designated region
- Exceptional writing, data analysis and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- A self-starting, metrics-driven mentality with the ability to work autonomously
- Ability to travel domestically up to 25%
- Strong and effective lobbying experience
- Master’s in Public Policy/Masters in Public Administration or a related field
- 100% Employee Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage and 80% of Dependent Coverage
- Matching 401k, 50% match up to 6% of employee contribution
- 3 weeks accrued PTO and 5 immediate sick days
- Accident Insurance
- Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- Voluntary Short and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account
- Catered lunch provided 5 days a week
- All the equipment that you need to get your work done
- Fridge is always stocked with energy drinks and other snacks
- Casual work environment, read “no suit and tie required”, but you are free to dress to the nines
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, New York, Phoenix and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps team!