Weaveworks aims to empower developers, no matter their background, to take advantage of container technology such as Docker to build faster and more scalable applications. We believe that container software will change the way developers create applications, so much so that many approaches are yet to be imagined. Help us build open source software tools that other developers use to tame their containerized applications.
As a backend engineer you will build systems that connect, monitor and deploy containers and microservices to accelerate the delivery of cloud-native applications in a slick, practical and highly-scalable way. You will be responsible for deploying, troubleshooting, and scaling any services you build.
You will work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. Our engineers include the founders of RabbitMQ and alumni from Google, Microsoft, Canonical, VMWare, Symantec, Pivotal, New Relic, and more. We frequently contribute back to the open source community, host meetups, and give tech talks.
- Design and code features, primarily in the Go language.
- Create tests and documentation for new features.
- Fix bugs discovered in the field, and add more tests that would have uncovered them.
- Review code changes submitted by colleagues or people outside the company.
- Design, code and maintain automation for our own build, test and deployment.
- Answer customer queries - we have a rotation to spread this out.
- Operating the Weave Cloud service - this is a constant process of measuring it, incrementally improving it, determining what else to measure, and so on.
- Write blog posts, speak at conferences and meetups: about our Open Source projects or about interesting learnings from the work.
- Help and mentor new employees to get up to speed.
- Participate in the hiring process - review coding challenge submissions, do interviews, etc.
- We look for candidates who can do top quality work in highly-concurrent, distributed or highly-scalable systems.
- Useful experience could come from having worked on such systems before, or from developing and operating SaaS products, cloud services and large scale websites.
- We do not require that you have previously programmed in Go - maybe you can bring a new perspective from some other language.
- A team and community player: communicating with and investing in the team and the community for long-term healthy relationships.
- We welcome candidates with interesting and diverse backgrounds, for example fluency in other languages and cultures.
- For applicants for positions in our SF office: You must be authorized to work in the US.
Weaveworks is a Google Ventures backed startup with offices in San Francisco, London, and Berlin. We are committed to open source software. We offer full medical benefits. Weaveworks is a family friendly company that believes in and is committed to equality - so we offer flexible working hours, vacation and parental leave. We encourage a good work-life balance in our policies.