Are you passionate about growing your knowledge everyday about the technologies that you use (programming languages, tools, platforms, etc.) as well as writing about them? Are you a social person who loves to give talks, engage with other developers, travel the world, and partake in community gatherings? Are you empathetic toward your community of devs, able to listen to their challenges, advocate for their needs, and help suggest solutions?
If so, we are looking for a Dev Advocate to help lead the growing community of users of Weave and its sister technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Prometheus.
As a Dev Advocate, you will engage with the communities of open source Weave users (Net, Flux, Scope, and Cortex by Weaveworks), Cloud Native projects (such as Kubernetes and Prometheus), and users of our paid product, Weave Cloud. When sharing those solutions through blog posts, conference talks, workshops, etc, you will develop and demo sample apps to make your solution relevant and tangible to each audience. Ultimately, you are a storyteller and you tell the full story of your solution through your words, your sample apps, and hopefully through your own passion, creativity, and sense of humor.
The Developer Advocate position lives within Weaveworks’ Developer Experience team. This role is in the San Francisco office to help build and advocate for the growing Weave community in the SF bay area. Your role touches almost all areas of the company, especially with other members of the DX team, PM/Eng/Support, PR/Marketing, and Business Dev.
- Get up to speed on (or you already know) Weaveworks’ open source technologies, commercial Weave Cloud product, as well its connection to sister technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, etc.
- Learn about the Weave community, their challenges, needs, and passions.
- Use the products extensively and help improve any areas of documentation, getting started guides, and demos that need help.
- Get involved in relevant open source projects, for example participating in or leading a Kubernetes SIG, with potential for real software development in the open source.
- Lead trainings, user groups, and discussions for Weave community members and for its sister technology communities.
- Find topics of interest and blog/speak about them + build sample apps to illustrate your points. • Interview team and community members, and publish the content through various channels.
- Build and grow a social presence for Weaveworks and your personal brand.
- Assist with questions on SO, GitHub, and other Weaveworks help channels, and convert the answers into publishable content.
- Identify community champions, advocate for their needs, help them spread the word, and recognize their support.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer or Developer Advocate with coding experience.
- Ability to share examples of past talks videos and blog posts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the desire to share knowledge with the team and community.
- A team and community player: communicating with and investing in the team and the community for long-term healthy relationships.
- Thought leadership in a technical community preferred.
- We welcome candidates with interesting and diverse backgrounds, for example fluency in other languages and cultures.
Weaveworks is a Google Ventures backed startup with offices in San Francisco, London, and Berlin. We are committed to open source software. We offer full medical benefits. Weaveworks is a family friendly company that believes in and is committed to equality - so we offer flexible working hours, vacation and parental leave. We encourage a good work-life balance in our policies.