WayUp is the leading D&I platform that ensures employers achieve their D&I goals by helping them virtually recruit qualified, diverse early-career candidates. Since 2014, WayUp has worked with employers of all sizes—from Fortune 500s like Clorox and Citi to nonprofits and startups. With over 6M users (71% of whom self-identify as underrepresented minorities), WayUp is known as the go-to platform used by early-career professionals to get hired. WayUp is fully remote, with offices around the United States and Canada. This role is fully remote.
The Senior Director, Financial Planning & Analysis will lead all of WayUp’s financials. This is a highly visible position and will be responsible for working with our Executive Team to plan and forecast, working with our CEO to report on metrics to the board, and supporting all executives with strategic and data driven analysis to fuel WayUp’s continued growth.
You will play a key role in driving some of the most important business and strategic decisions we make through strategic modeling, diligent analysis, and best-in-class reporting. You will interact frequently with our executive team on all matters related to business performance, and will directly support all business leaders to drive financial and operational excellence. You will also be responsible for ensuring we are fully up to code on all accounting and taxes.
We’re looking for a passionate, seasoned finance leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong leadership skills, and someone who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, because you’ll be doing a lot of that.
- Lead the FP&A function at WayUp, partnering closely with key stakeholders across the business and driving the FP&A function as a proven center of analytical excellence. The role will interface directly with WayUp’s management and will report directly into our CEO.
- Manage and keep our P&L updated, owning variance reports on a monthly basis and investor reporting on financials.
- Own the annual planning process and ongoing rolling forecasts by setting company targets and tracking/reporting actual performance relative to plan
- Build and iterate on complex financial models covering all aspects of WayUp’s business that will enable effective decision-making regarding our revenue, growth strategy, and cost structure. You will be consistently asked to update the model throughout the year, so we need someone who is extremely quick and savvy in Excel.
- Establish, track, and monitor key operating metrics to help maximize performance
- Provide oversight over WayUp’s cash balance
- Support Investor Relations efforts and assist in preparation of materials for Board of Director meetings
- Help drive financial discipline, fact-based decision-making, and financial visibility
- Perform ad-hoc analyses to drive business strategy, improve efficiency, and maximize ROI
- Manage a part-time bookkeeper who will manage our AR and AP.
- Work with Avalara and our Tax firm to ensure we are on top of all taxes.
A CLOSER LOOK AT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cash Management
- Working with part-time Bookkeeper to oversee AR tracking and updating
- Accounts Payable approvals -- review weekly aggregated report from the Staff Accountant
- Vendor invoice approvals for anything within the Operations team
- Wire approvals (needs double authentication)
- Reporting to Board and Investors
- Respond to general investor requests / inquiries, such as cap table summaries, investment confirmation (for an investors’ audit), high level financial statement summaries, 409a, and so on.
- Prepare any finance-related slides for a board meeting (once per quarter) along with detailed P&L
- Create monthly board dashboards that track KPIs and ARR
- Finances, Taxes, and Audit
- Annual tax work with our Tax Adviser
- Cap table management in Carta (ad-hoc when there are new or expired grants, etc.)
- Annually reviewing and maintaining insurance policy with FounderShield
- Being a second set of eyes (to Bookkeeper) for our credit card statement (we use Ramp)
- Taking advantage of any changes to the laws that could make sense for WayUp to take advantage of (such as CARES Act) and working with our PEO (Sequoia) or our bank (Silicon Valley Bank)
- Oversee and be a second set of eyes to payout of bills from our Staff Accountant
- Budget / Model Management
- Annual budgeting in the model and reviewing monthly actuals to assess accuracy
- Closing the books with our part-time Bookkeeper to ensure the balance sheet and cash flow are balanced.
- Updating our model based on actuals and/or changes with forecasts
- Scenario modeling based on sales, ACV and net revenue retention
- Monthly variance analysis by department for Vendor, Headcount and Spend
- Budget approvals for any onboarding or offboarding of employees
- ARR tracking (pulls in from Sales Ops and Salesforce, but often needs some cleanup)
- Review and approve commission payouts for all revenue-generating positions
- Re-assess commission structure on an annual basis
- Experience working in-house at a SaaS organization that has fewer than 150 employees
- OK to roll up your sleeves and not require a big team (it will just be you and one part-time bookkeeper)
- Experience partnering with a revenue team that works off of Salesforce
- Can work full-time (40-50 hours per week on average)
- Has the WFH setup -- does not require an office space provided by WayUp
- 10+ years of progressive finance experience, including investment banking, private equity, or the equivalent internal FP&A experience at a best-in-class company, coupled with at least 2 years of operational FP&A experience
- Strong experience with B2B SaaS and a keen understanding of SaaS metrics
- Experience working with Tax firms
- Excellent proficiency in financial modeling with Excel and Google Sheets; SQL experience a plus
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented, and deadline driven
- Strong leadership and mentorship skills
- Results oriented, with proven ability to prioritize and deliver quality work in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills with the ability to “craft the story” for a cross functional audience
By submitting your application, you agree to submit a list of references as part of the interview process and consent to WayUp contacting these references.
The Company values the array of backgrounds, talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or familial status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, certain arrest or conviction records, domestic violence victim status, and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law (collectively referred to as "protected characteristics”).