WayUp is the go-to platform for millions of early-career professionals to explore job and internship opportunities, receive advice, and get discovered by employers. Top companies from startups to Fortune 500s use WayUp’s platform to reach, recruit and engage with the new generation of early-career talent. Since launching in 2014, WayUp has helped millions of candidates launch their careers.
WayUp is hiring a Public Relations + Comms Manager to lead PR / media relations efforts to increase WayUp’s brand awareness in the US.
A few quick notes:
- This position is located in New York, NY.
- You will be the only person who is full-time working on WayUp's PR efforts. We do not plan to build/grow the team in 2020 beyond you, so please only apply if you are open to being in a somewhat independent position (i.e. you do not require a team or agency to work under you in the next 12 months). There is absolutely opportunity for us to bring on an agency and/or another full-time person on your team in 2021.
- We are open to both full-time and part-time applicants.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who's strategic, but also willing to roll up their sleeves. Together with the CEO and our Marketing teams, you will craft the PR strategy for WayUp, and will be responsible for implementing it, as well. You will also be responsible for managing the day-to-day PR efforts for WayUp, with a speaking engagements for our leadership team, trade press (HR Tech), mainstream press, and Tech / Entrepreneur press.
You can see a few examples of our press here: press.wayup.com
WayUp is fortunate enough to already be featured in the mainstream press at least once per month organically, and our CEO is frequently asked to speak at events -- so you will both grow what is already happening, and strategize / organize the inbound requests to decide what we should / shouldn’t focus on. Note: we don’t have any PR Agency and haven’t had someone in-house doing PR for WayUp in a year and a half, so there will likely be a lot of strategy-setting at the start.
We're looking for ambitious, driven, self-starters who wants to work strategically and efficiently. You'll be successful if you are highly proactive, have a thick rolodex of contacts and have a passion for growing the footprint and exposure for a mission-driven brand.
A typical schedule as the Head of Public Relations would include:
- Create and implement a compelling media relations strategy for WayUp
- Manage relationships with a variety of media including trade industry, tech, and more
- Draft and edit pitches, press releases and by-line articles at a high standard consistent with company messaging and editorial guidelines;
- Pitch media journalists on stories about WayUp (especially B2B)
- Work with our executive team on ghost-writing thought leadership pieces
- Book panels and speaking engagements for our CEO and/or other senior leaders
- Work closely with sales, marketing, product development and editorial teams to develop and implement a strategic PR plan to complement marketing programs
- Manage and attend media related events
- Monitor relevant industry and trade publications, competitive news landscape, etc.
- Research on specific topics that a senior leader may be speaking about
- Respond to all inbound media requests
- Evaluate opportunities for brand/influencer partnerships
- Keep annual calendars of events, targets, and activities organized
- 3-10 years of experience in public relations and marketing communications, experience pitching media brands is critical
- Deep relationships with journalists or media professionals
- Demonstrated success in securing media coverage in a variety of outlet types
- Strong storytelling ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (copywriting and editing included)
- Ability to work collaboratively with other team members
- Self-starter – ability to work independently to accomplish tasks in a creative, decisive, and responsive manner; take responsibility of projects and outcomes
- Demonstrated competence in managing multiple priorities and projects on tight deadlines while maintaining top quality deliverables
- Ability to craft messages based on the desired goal of the communication and tailor to specific audiences
- Critical thinking and attention to detail
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Competitive Equity Options Grant
- Comprehensive Healthcare Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 401k Plan through MassMutual
- Weekly Catered Team Lunch
- Monthly Lunch & Learns with Industry Leaders, CEOs, VC's and more
- Unlimited Sick Days
- Pre-Tax Commuter & FSA Benefits
- Continuous Education Stipend
- Office Snacks, Cold Brew and Lots of Dogs!
By submitting your application, you agree to submit a list of references as part of the interview process and consent to WayUp contacting these references.
The Company values the array of backgrounds, talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or familial status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, certain arrest or conviction records, domestic violence victim status, and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law (collectively referred to as "protected characteristics”).