Real assets. Real results. Waypoint Residential develops multifamily projects in high-growth markets throughout the Sunbelt region. All projects are well-amenitized, Class A communities developed with the use of moderate leverage to mitigate risk and achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns. Waypoint is a vertically integrated real estate investment firm focused on the U.S. residential sector. Since 2011, Waypoint has invested over $4 billion across more than 28,000 multifamily housing units located nationwide.
Waypoint has an immediate opening for a Development Management professional who will coordinate pre-development, construction, and turnover of multi-family projects. Based in Phoenix, AZ - this role will be responsible for leading the internal and external teams covering the entire development and entitlement process, including contracting and performing due diligence tasks with respect to zoning, title, environmental risk and other potential obstacles to development. This role will work with our financial analyst and development team to analyze and determine the financial feasibility of proposed projects and will be responsible for coordinating with consultants and municipalities, negotiating and coordinating with architects, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors and trades, and reporting on project progress to principals.
Compensation is competitive, with a market rate base salary, bonus, and eligibility to participate in regional profit centers.
What you will do:
- Lead the internal and external teams for each development project, implementing and maintaining an overall project tracking and delegation platform.
- Spearhead the entitlement and local governmental approvals process in conjunction with the Managing Director, working with the team to present the project throughout the process of obtaining all necessary entitlements.
- Project initiation (site analysis & selection, financial feasibility, schedule & budget, & securing community and political support).
- Project determination (financial structure, funding commitments, cost estimates, establishment of project pro forma, due diligence).
- Manage the due diligence process: planning, design, entitlement/approval, and construction coordination for the entire project, including selection of (and coordination amongst) attorneys, architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, etc.
- Coordinate with property management and asset management to determine the unit mix, unit sizes, unit amenities, project amenities, marketing lease-up budgets, and operating lease-up budgets.
- Create and maintain overall development schedules throughout pre-development, construction, project opening, and stabilization.
- Manage the overall development process, serving as day-to-day liaison with internal construction management group and external design team.
- Work to keep scope and cost in balance while meeting schedule and quality objectives. Oversee cost management/reporting. Prepare reports to internal management and external clients as needed.
- Participate and collaborate with operations/marketing team during construction/delivery period; ensure follow-up with appropriate parties as needed with issues that arise.
- Manage comprehensive tracking of project data for required reporting: construction progress, budget tracking, leasing status, periodic market updates.
- Coordination with construction manager to ensure successful completion and stabilization of projects on time and within budget.
- Coordinate and Partner with outside legal team to review and approve all project/development agreements and contracts.
- Research and track latest industry trends as directed or required for assigned projects.
- Perform other duties as directed in other areas where the position’s skills, knowledge and experience may be needed.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree with MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 5+years of progressive experience in the development of multifamily housing with a reputable developer.
- Demonstrated track record of seeing multifamily projects full-cycle - from site evaluation to completion.
- Direct Project Approval and Entitlement experience – working with various local governmental agencies.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects at various stages within the development process.
- Experience in working with and coordinating outside legal teams to complete Purchase and Sale Agreements as well as all development legal matters.
- Ability to assess and manage risk factors affecting projects and the firm.
- Ability to work with and communicate with a broad range of individuals and professions.
- Strong financial and analytical skills, with a passion for real estate development.
- Experience with leading architects and engineers in obtaining project entitlements through governmental agencies.
- Ability to handle multiple projects through the consistent completion of tasks with established deadlines and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and MS Project.
- Strong strategic planning and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills such as that he/she deals successfully with personnel on all levels in the organization and relates well to contacts outside the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to absorb and act on complex legal documents such as land contracts, title restrictions, and permanent and construction financing agreements.
- Energetic, positive, excellent character, and exceptional negotiating skills.