Within Wayfair, the EU Supply Chain Analytics team focuses on improving Wayfair’s supply chain with mathematical modelling and optimization, for example by designing and implementing models for network planning or routing.
A challenging task for you
Your task will be the design and implementation of an algorithm to solve a rich vehicle routing problem (VRP) from Wayfair’s supply chain. The problem at hand combines traits of a travelling salesman problem (TSP), a periodic VRP, a VRP with time windows, a stochastic VRP, an open VRP and an ambulance location problem.
- Brotcorne, Luce, Gilbert Laporte, and Frederic Semet. "Ambulance location and relocation models." European journal of operational research 147.3 (2003): 451-463. PDF
- Francis, Peter, and Karen Smilowitz. "Modeling techniques for periodic vehicle routing problems." Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 40.10 (2006): 872-884. PDF
- Gendreau, Michel, Gilbert Laporte, and René Séguin. "Stochastic vehicle routing." European Journal of Operational Research 88.1 (1996): 3-12. PDF
A structured approach to your master thesis:
Your internship with Wayfair will have a total duration of six paid months. During five months, you will work full time at Wayfair mainly on this project. In the final month, you are released from work to focus exclusively on writing your master thesis. In the course of your first five months, you will be guided by experienced colleagues through the following steps:
- Literature research
- Problem formulation as mixed integer problem (MIP)
- Implementation of the MIP and solution with a state-of-the-art solver on several instances
- Design and implementation of a problem-specific heuristic
- Numerical tests for feasibility, solution speed and quality
What You'll Need
- Initial exposure to quantitative modelling and mathematical optimization, e.g. within university course or bachelor thesis
- Experience with programming in Python
- Desire to always be learning, and a collaborative team-player attitude!
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.