Software Engineering Manager - Log-In Authorization, OOP
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case - it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 14 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. We work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
Each Storefront Engineering group, covers one major portion of the purchase funnel. These groups consist of teams owning specific products, within which they run A/B tests that have considerable impact on purchasing decisions.The Storefront Team is growing quickly and as its features mature, it’s important to maintain velocity and stability. The Engineering Manager for Storefront Engineering should help the team uncover and develop any capabilities needed to do so. This leader should be able to connect these and any other engineering problems to the team’s business goals.
What You’ll Do?
- Manages team with cross-functional/cross-platform scope, including a capable leadership bench, and addresses problem areas quickly through appropriate performance management
- Interviews for both junior and senior roles, gives insightful feedback and effectively sells Wayfair,
- Developing capabilities needed to maintain the performance and stability of Wayfair’s websites and apps. Using tools like Kibana, Grafana, InfluxDB, Vertica to monitor and track performance and stability over a period of time, alert on anomalies and working to develop solutions to fix regressions. Building on our suite of automated tests using PHPUnit, Selenium, and other testing technologies.
- Coaching tech leads through running productive and efficient sprints. Monitoring sprint metrics like velocity, focus factor, burndown and ensuring consistently high sprint performance.
- Identifying new workstreams to incorporate into your product area. Working with engineering and product stakeholders to identify product gaps to fill and incorporating those in your teams.
- Identifying points where the product, analytics, and engineering roadmaps don’t align. Working with both teams to address these issues, ensuring appropriate prioritization of engineering driven tech investments alongside new feature development.
- Ensuring that the right information is available to make high level architecture and technology decisions.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field and you have at least 4+ years’ experience in software engineering leadership
- Experience with PHP (or object-oriented languages like Java, C#, or python) and SQL along with object-oriented design.
- You care about technology, but you don’t care about it for its own sake. You’re not married to specific tools. You’re comfortable moving up and down the stack to solve problems.
- Create an environment that is conducive to collaboration and knowledge sharing
- You care about the customer. You won’t be happy if you’re blindly executing on specs.
- Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, Agile scrum, etc.)
- Track record of building highly functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to make and execute platform level technical decisions and the ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the senior leadership level
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair is, and will be, home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.