Associate Director, Customer Tracking/Scribe Engineering Systems
Wayfair’s Customer Tracking or “Scribe” Engineering team consolidates data from all things Wayfair in one central location allowing applications to react to the data in real-time and builds a single source of truth for analytics and performance metrics.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineering leader to be responsible for the development of Scribe - Wayfair’s cross-cutting technology platform for tracking, processing and exposing data for 1,000’s of engineers, data scientists, analysts and product leaders across the business. Scribe is the backbone of Customer Intelligence Engineering at Wayfair and processes billions of events a day in real-time across multiple countries and regions to help power the business.
What You'll Do
- Create the technical strategic vision, both short-term and long-term for your team. Provide roadmaps and milestones / KPI's
- Function as a leader of leaders providing support and career growth while also attracting new talent
- Own the platform that is the backbone for much of the data-driven systems within Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence (ATCI) engineering, Data Science, and Business Intelligence
- Identify new workstreams to incorporate into your product area
- Work cross-functionally with product teams, engineering teams and stakeholders across the business
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship
- Ensure that accurate information is available to make high level architecture and technology decisions.
- Identify points where the product and engineering roadmaps don’t align
What You'll Need
- 10+ years industry experience with at least 8 years in a software engineering leadership role
- Strong history of building engineering teams, ideally with rapid innovation and product release
- Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, scrum, etc.)
- Prior experience leading highly functional software engineering teams of 20+
- Track record of individual contribution within engineering - even from leadership positions
- Demonstrated ability to make and execute platform level technical decisions
- Notable experience running high volume data processing systems at scale
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to build
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the senior leadership level
- Deep understanding of Product/Engineering partnership
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Strong academic record (strong preference for technical, quantitative, or scientific backgrounds)
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.