We are looking for a driven, hands-on technical leader to join our operational engineering teams as a Senior Software Engineering Manager. We have multiple opportunities to lead high-performing teams and build application roadmaps for complex systems. We have a multitude of opportunities for engineering leaders to consider as our software engineering teams grow.
Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers-turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love.
We build our market share by providing innovative, technical solutions for our customer’s needs and by identifying opportunities for continuous improvement – all while growing our revenue over $5+ billion.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. Our global teams are ever-changing, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
How will you be challenged?
Our Engineering Leaders are our technical backstops for our teams and you will be able to drive the vision for the organization through a high-growth, risk-taking engineering team. Our engineers are taught to move quickly and take chances and you will be able to manage some of the best engineers in the space. Managing managers and technical leads, all while being able to roll your sleeves up if needed, is what sets our managers apart from others.
What you will do? (role specific focus)
Will provide technical leadership, mentor and teach a team of highly capable engineers developing a world-class platform for real time profitability and sales & service process enablement!
- Drive the design and implementation of product enhancements to our operational engineering systems and workflows, all while pushing the limits of data processing at Wayfair
- Lead multiple sprint teams ranging from 2 to 5 Software Engineers and own features developed by your team in each phase of a project design, implementation, code review, QA and deployment to production
- Identify and deliver solutions and strategies to push the boundaries of our tech stack to handle scalability and performance goals
- Drive the creation and execution of quarterly roadmaps for product enhancements and technical improvements, in collaboration with product management to align with Wayfair’s business strategy
- Actively mentor and coach all direct reports
- Plan and budget for headcount resourcing to achieve business objectives
Who you are?
- A hands-on technical leader with the ability to make difficult technical decisions that affect scale and efficiency
- A leader with excellent communication skills with the ability to collaborate with Product teams and thrive in a highly evolving and ambiguous environment
- A charismatic personality that understands how to motivate exceptional engineers
- You will have experience with Object Oriented Programming (OOP) languages like PHP, Java, C++, C#, Python or Scala
- You have working experience working with complex relational SQL-based databases and understand complex systems
- You are interested in solving tough challenges: We are currently working on building new systems that scale horizontally, so experience with Storm/Spark and Kafka is a plus, along with experience using cloud technologies
- Understanding of software architecture to help empower software developers to leverage the platform with reliability, and more importantly failures in mind
- Have hands-on experience designing, building and maintaining of the full application stack