Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to manage two domains within storefront: Performance and IAM. Responsibilities include building a strong team through effective hiring, mentoring, and training, partnering closely with Product, Design, QA, and Analytics to develop the team’s vision, roadmap, and quarterly OKRs, effectively managing technical debt, coaching technical architects to develop the long-term vision for the platform, and working with software and infrastructure stakeholders across the engineering organization.
The Storefront Performance team ensures the customer experience is delightful by driving best-in-class tooling to help understand performance bottlenecks, address performance regressions, and come up with the next big idea to significantly improve performance.
The Identity and Access Management (IAM) team has the responsibility to provide a scalable, extensible platform that allows any user (customer, employee, supplier, etc.) to access anything Wayfair in a secure manner. In addition to providing the platform we provide best-in-class APIs and support for suppliers and business partners. We are constantly striving to make the user experience as frictionless as possible while employing best practices in securing user sessions.
What You'll Do
You will manage a growing team that is responsible for developing a world-class authentication platform, creating cutting edge user login experiences for mobile and web platforms, and support integrations with 3rd parties. Additionally, you will manage a team of performance engineers responsible for ensuring overall site performance and providing the tools to monitor and manage performance.
You will join the Storefront team as a key contributor to the development of our technology and will be expected to:
- Lead a team of 30+ engineers and managers
- Provide architecture leadership to achieve the platform and business goals
- Design and build highly scalable, resilient, performant services that interface with web applications, mobile applications, and third-party services.
- Instill best practices within the engineering team.
- Work closely with Product Management to refine the requirements and prioritize engineering activities.
- Work with QA on developing testing processes, frameworks, and automation strategies
- Work with platform architects on software and system optimizations, helping to identify and remove potential performance bottlenecks.
- Work with security team to continually enhance security of the platform.
- Stay up to date on relevant technologies, plug into user groups, understand trends and opportunities to ensure we are using the best techniques and tools
What You'll Need
- BS in Computer Science, or equivalent with ten (10) years experience in managing software development teams.
- Expertise in software architecture and design for systems at scale.
- Experience in implementing user authentication and authorization systems including: single sign-on, social login, session management, user profiles, and user identity.
- Experience with authentication frameworks such as OAuth
- Experience in performance analysis and troubleshooting.
- Experience managing a team of Engineering Managers a strong plus.
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.