Working with web technologies at Wayfair you’ll have tons of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new things. We build world class user interfaces by balancing art with science using multivariate tests. You’ll likely touch all five of our ecommerce sites, mobile web, and international sites. We contribute to and create cutting edge open source projects and design systems to explore the future of web design.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with design and product leads to build fast and friction-less customer experience using CSS and React
- Advocate for the user and implement high accessibility standards (AA+)
- Take ownership of the frontend of features and deliver them in collaboration with other engineers, product managers, UX professionals, and designers
- Prototype new features and approaches for experimentation and idea validation
- Provide mentor-ship and guidance for peers and more junior engineers
- Prioritize your own work and manage timely responses to requests from product managers
- Complete technical discoveries to turn large ambiguous user stories into actionable work.
- Own communications for issue or roadblock escalation and understands when and how to do so effectively
- Work closely with product designers and colleagues from across the organization to introduce new features with a stable and consistent user experience.
- Contribute to and help drive decisions, initiatives, and coding patterns throughout Wayfair
- Write code that is seen by millions of customers each day!
Who You Are
- You have experience building frontend sites and/or applications, including experience with modern frontend frameworks
- You know and care about CSS and modern frontend development and design tools and techniques
- You write modern CSS/SCSS/Sass or CSS-in-JS equivalent understanding box model and layout techniques (css grid vs flex vs floats etc.)
- You balance an eye for design with a data-driven approach to user experience
- You are passionate about clean and performant code
- You have a creative mindset with a passion for crafting optimal experiences for other humans
- You understand HTML semantics and why they are important
- You’ve optimized sites for accessibility
- You are experienced in giving and receiving code reviews
- You’ve worked with and understand the power of a strong design system and component library
- You are comfortable working with ambiguous problems - you can turn big problems into small ones and get those done.
- Experienced in coding for multiple devices, including knowledge and understanding of responsive/adaptive design patterns
- Excited about working in an environment where your contributions are wide-reaching and highly visible
- A graduate of a design, computer science, computer graphics, or digital arts related degree program with 1+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 3+ years of equivalent industry experience
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair is, and will be, home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.